Menu

If you could only afford the "classical" TOG would you still use it?

mama25angels

I've used Tapestry for nearly 4 yrs. The 1st 2 yrs were with classic years 3 and 4 because they hadn't been redesigned yet. We had a wonderful experience. I moved up to redesigned when we now an option for us. I have to say I really like the redesigned format for a number of reasons. It's laid out a little more clearly, the resources are always up to date, and there's more teacher guidance for the D level.

Having said that, the classic versions served us well. It was a challenge finding alternate literature books if the recommended ones weren't available at the library. We freely substituted history books on the same topic so that wasn't as difficult but if we wanted to use the lit worksheets, etc, we really needed to have those specific titles. Yes, they've rearranged some of the topics and changed some emphasis here and there -- but the heart of the program is in the classic versions, too.

TOG has been a wonderful fit for our family. Classic, rededigned, DE, or whatever format, it works well for us.

At one point, I owned all 4 years of TOG Classic. For some STUPID reason, I got caught up in "having the latest and greatest" and bought Years 1, 2, and 3 Redesigned. One of the things I noticed right off quickly is that the booklists changed A LOT!! (most of the books I had already purchased weren't on the Redesigned booklist...)

I *LOVE* TOG -- whether Classic or Redesigned...as long as you're not trying to join a co-op, I would think that TOG Classic would work well for you. **You might have to search a little harder for some of the books OR substitute another book and make up your own worksheet/assignment -- not so much for History but especially for Literature.** As long as you're comfortable with that, I'd say "go for it!!"

Thanks

Many of the books used are still available. The questions and analysis are no less valid than they were a few years ago.

Unless the curriculum referenced books that were out of print and no longer available, then I'd have no qualms about using something that wasn't the absolute newest version.

If the classic version referenced something that was going to be very difficult of expensive to acquire, then I'd consider the newer version. For example, a plan that was built around the Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World would only be useful if you had that particular book. If you didn't, you would have to weigh the time required to figure out what to substitute for those lessons, vs. the cost of finding one used, vs the cost of a new curriculum. But if I had the Kingfisher book and the older plan, then I wouldn't get a new one, just because it had been updated.

Although that's after two full years of redesign, so I'm comfortable with TOG and how it works.

FWIW, I tried the classic five years ago and didn't stick with it. But, my oldest was only in 2nd, I bought it at the last minute and tried to jump in immediately, AND I unexpectedly had to go back to work two days a week in the midst of it all. It had a lot of strikes against it back then.

But, if my choice was classic TOG or none at all, I'd go with classic.