Menu

Written Narration ?'s

jjcmehl

When do you have your child write their narrations?

How much? How often?

Does spelling count?

I own the WTM, but my allergies are annoying me today and I don't have the energy to really dig into it.:glare:

I've tried looking for the info. in the past.

Thank you in advance!

What are WTM's suggestions? I found this suggestion on AO:

Oral Narration of various subjects. (This continues to be an important part of "composition.")

Written Narration begun around age 10-11. (Handwritten or typed narrations are fine. You should accept most written narrations without attempting to correct all the mistakes. Becoming proficient with written narration will take a couple of years. Begin with one written narration per week, and increase to 2, then 3, as your child is ready to do more writing. Once a month, perhaps, you may want to edit and correct one narration.)

WTM suggests written starting earlier than that. We are in 2nd grade, and it says to go ahead and take their narrations. Then have them write the first sentence, or as much as they can. Then you finish it if you need to. By the end of the year, they should be writing them.

For us, I have a 7 yr old who has never had a problem putting pencil to paper. So by the end of 1st I was having her copy her narrations neatly after I write them out for her. Now for 2nd, she writes them. I sit with her and yes I do correct her spelling as she goes, and have her do it neatly. She does 2-4 history narrations a week, and one reading and one science one a week, all written by her. (although, I will help her with them and may write them out for her to copy still.)

My 7 yr old can write a whole page. With her, we work on getting to the main point, so I try to keep her in the 3 to 5 sentence range w/her SOTW narrations. There are some passages which are so interesting to her, or that have more info, and they are longer. But on avg, 3 to 5. The same with Science. 1 page of 2nd grade lined paper for her notebook a week is normal, with small diagrams included on it.

When do you have your child write their narrations?

How much? How often?

Does spelling count?

I own the WTM, but my allergies are annoying me today and I don't have the energy to really dig into it.:glare:

I've tried looking for the info. in the past.

Thank you in advance!

4th grade, daily, 2-3 sentences, I do have them correct spelling, but don't make a big deal of it. My oldest is doing great in CW, so doing so "little" didn't hurt her at all. She did much longer oral narrations in 3rd grade, and it really bothered me that she was going backwards, but in the end it turned out fine.

Heather