Menu

Help me...I can't make up my mind about Spelling!

jjcmehl

I've tried Natural Speller didn't work.:thumbdown:

Then read Charlotte Mason's thoughts on spelling and dropped the list method. In particular, read posts on the Higher Up and Further In blog. I was all go for the CM way-copywork then moving into dictation!:driving:

Decided to do Sequential Spelling last year, after I thought I was neglecting my children's needs for spelling...the program worked quite well for us...it just takes forever to get through a book and I don't want to do spelling twice a day like is suggested, if you want to catch-up!

Then read WTM's ideas...didn't want to spend the $ on the Spelling Workout series, so I bought Rod and Staff spelling, works okay...the children like the worksheets (even though we lean toward the CM method).

Now read Charlotte Mason ideas again.....in particular looking into Spelling Wisdom (which, if I broke down the cost would only be $2.50/year per child...so a GREAT deal) or Dictation/Spelling book on Google Books.

Then started thinking, if I use dictation for spelling, why not change SWB's approach to dictation and implement it into WWE. :confused:

AHHHHHH, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:willy_nilly:WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I know staying with one is best and not be tempted would be the solution!

I know how you feel about being loss with spelling. I have gone from Spectrum to Horizons to now Rod and Staff. Hubby don't want me spending more since I cannot make up my mind. DD does great with lists, it's when she does everyday writing in every other subject that she goes back to spelling how it sounds even the simple ones AHH. I have looked at Spelling Wisdom too. I currently have a guide that has the CM style to spelling. I am going to give it a try this year and if it works I may go with Spelling Widsom or just find my own stuff but buying is easier and quicker. There is a book for about 10 bucks that has the rules about spelling but I don't remember the name, I hope to get that for next year as a reference. I posted before with the name but cannot rememeber.

Do you make up little paragraphs with your RS words? I have started doing this and it makes our spelling more fun because I will make up creative sentences with the words.

I use LLATL. It incorporates spelling, dictation, grammar etc all in one program. I use it for everything and just give my dd Spelling power for extra practice. She is a great speller. She's always been a strong reader as well so I don't know how much of it is a natural bend for LA or how much of it can be attributed to the programs we use, but it works for us.

Do you make up little paragraphs with your RS words? I have started doing this and it makes our spelling more fun because I will make up creative sentences with the words.

Great idea to make up sentences with the words in R&S. So are you using R&S list words w/ dictation.?

I use LLATL. It incorporates spelling, dictation, grammar etc all in one program. I use it for everything and just give my dd Spelling power for extra practice. She is a great speller. She's always been a strong reader as well so I don't know how much of it is a natural bend for LA or how much of it can be attributed to the programs we use, but it works for us.

Interesting..this program has always intrigued me...yet another reason to look into it!

We have just begun Bob Jones Spelling and so far, so good. We used a more CM method over the the past few years, and while I saw some retention taking place, one of our ds's needed more.

We're only in the second week so the jury's still out, but I chose it because...

• it breaks the words up into syllables
  • the activities are rich (root words, Biblical application etc...)
  • no fluff (no misspelled words or jumbled up words... they see it spelled correctly)
  • doesn't use cursive (we use italic)
  • workbook (a pro for us... keeps everything tidy)
  • TM is not necessary imho

If you're interested, there are more reviews here and you can search these boards. You can also view a few weeks of samples at bjup.com

WE did a few that you listed. Now we are going to use Apples Spelling along with Megawords. I need to break spelling down to small steps.

I also have the abcs and all their tricks to add in a little at a time. My natural speller likes how it explains the rules. My terrible speller likes that he can learn one sound at a time. He just needs to hear and see different ways to spell the words. He wont remember the rules.

If R&S is working, I'd just stick with it. There is no need to fix what isn't broken.

We have some big CM leanings too. I like both Spelling Wisdom and R&S Spelling, and have both currently running at the moment. :) My kid using SW learns best when she learns the word in the context of a sentence rather than an arbitrary list. SW clicked with her and she's doing great in it.

My oldest looked over his sister's SW and the R&S samples before we ordered. He went with the R&S, and it's been a good match for him. R&S really teaches the whys and spelling rules and makes the kid use it, Spelling Workout just mentioned the rules in passing.

I have to keep spelling very simple for me or it doesn't get done. I get bored reading a list of spelling words for my DD to write so I'm using Spelling Wisdom with my older DD and Phonetic Zoo with my younger DD.

Older DD is a terrible speller. She knows the rules and can memorize a list, but she doesn't picture the words she learned when she's writing a paper. We started doing dictation last year and seeing the word in context helps her remember how to spell it. I think that's the key for her - memorizing a list to ace a spelling test was not helping - seeing a word in context helps her visualize how the word is spelled and how it is used. And reading a dictation lesson is much more interesting for me than reading a list of words.

I like Spelling Wisdom because Sonya put so much work into selecting dictation exercises with the 6000 most commonly used words (plus 6000 more). And if we need extra practice with a word there is an index in the back listing other exercises where that word appears.

Younger DD is not visual and does not learn from reading (she's heavily kinesthetic) so I went with a multi-sensory program. Phonetic Zoo is working very well for her, she is learning the spelling rules, and she can do it independently.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I think I'll refrain and stick with R & S...(incorporating dictation with the words). I'll also see how it goes further into the year. My DS flourishes with most of the programs (he seems to be a natural speller); whereas my DD needs more attention.