Menu

Dairy free dessert

You could layer in a trifle bowl, Angle Food Cake, Cool Whip, fresh berries(whatever is on sale) and dairy free vanilla pudding (recipe to follow) Good Luck!

Pudding is one of those easy and quick comforting desserts that can be prepared anytime of the week, and it can be enjoyed as an afterschool sweet snack or as a lunch or dinner dessert. This dairy-free pudding recipe is always a hit, and it's easy to dress up with fruit, chocolate chips or any spices that you like!

Serves 4

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

•2/3 cups white granulated sugar

•¼ t. salt

•¼ cup cornstarch

•2 ½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk or other non-dairy milk alternative

•4 large egg yolks

•1 t. vanilla extract

Preparation:

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar and salt. In a small dish, combine the cornstarch with 2 T. of the almond milk, mixing until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture, remaining almond milk and eggs to the saucepan, whisking until combined.

2. Cook the pudding over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles just begin to form on the surface. Whisking constantly, turn down the heat to low and cook for about 1 minute more. Pour the pudding through a fine sieve into a heatproof dish and stir in the vanilla extract. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and chill at least 2 hours before serving.

User Reviews

Look up "wacky cake"---here's one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wacky-Cake-VIII/Detail.aspx

It's a great chocolate cake, very easy, very cheap. We like it by itself (the recipe I had was for an 8x8 pan, but I double it for 9x13). Icing is more of a challenge---I use dairy free margarine (Earth Balance) and chocolate soy milk (Silk) to make a good chocolate icing when we need something totally dairy free, but Earth Balance is hard to find in stores around here. You could dust it with confectioner's sugar.

Here's a page of dairy free frostings http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/sweetsaucesfrostings/Dessert_Sauces_Frostings.htm

I have a friend who also makes a mayo cake---here's one recipe

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,176,156172-231203,00.html

Many apple crisps (crumbles) have no milk, some have no egg. If apples are cheap in bulk, you

can make three of these nearly as fast as one, simple enough to have littles do the topping

while you slice the apples. Apples have trace minerals!

Or, from an old post of mine on what to do with a very leaden plum tree:

Wash, dry, halve and put in freezer containers in 4 cup batches, and

then use

for winter cobbler. Very good use of plums!

<begin paste of JOC recipe>:

Apple, Peach, or Plum Cake Cockaigne.

(this latter word is JOC code for 'one of our family favourites')

I like Italian plums the best in the recipe, but nectarines were cheap

and ripe, so this is what I used:

Dough:

1 cup all purp flour, sifted

sift again with

1 teas baking powder

1/4 teas salt

2 T sugar

work in 1 1/2-3 T butter (I use Earth Balance)

In a measuring cup, break an egg. Beat well, add 1/2 teas vanilla and

then enough milk to make 1/2 C total. (I've often used vanilla almond milk)

Press this dough into a greased 9 or 10 inch round pan

Cover with 4 cups sliced fruit

Over this sprinkle

1 cup white or brown sugar

2 teas cinn.

3 T melted butter. (Can use marj)

Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes. I find it takes longer, or the cake in the

middle may be rawish.

Edited by kalanamak

Lemon Pudding Cake !

CAKE:

1 cup unbleached flour

3/4 cup sugar (unrefined cane is best for this)

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup nondairy milk (rice works best)

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (canola, safflower, etc.)

2 Tbsp. lemon zest * [ * This is unclear whether they mean fresh or dried. I use dried.]

juice of 1 lemon (* using a good-quality bottled lemon juice, this will be 2 Tbsp.)

SAUCE:

1 cup sugar (as above)

1/4 cup unbleached flour

1 cup boiling water

juice of 2 lemons (* as above, would be 4 Tbsp.)

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Boil the water.

(1) Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the nondairy milk, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add this to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until just mixed. Pour all into an 8 x 8 " pan and spread evenly.

(2) Whisk together the sugar and flour, then sprinkle evenly over the batter in the pan.

(3) Pour boiling water and lemon juice over the top of the cake. DO NOT STIR.

(4) Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is golden, and the cake tests done with a cake tester.

I have one child who dislikes chocolate, and won't eat it. I found this recipe online, and everybody in the family just loves it ! It is very easy to make, and quick also.