Menu

Life of Fred ?

haysmommy

This is my first year of homeschool and I have a ? about the Life of Fred books. We are doing Fractions right now and my son, almost 11, loves the book. He has already read the entire story, we just go back daily and do the math problems/bridges. He isn't having any problems with the math. I will purchase the Decimals/Percents and assume that we will be done with both books by Christmas. Do I go ahead and purchase Algebra for us to start after the holidays? I've read here that the author doesn't recommend Algebra until age 13. Are you finding that this is true?

The author is working on another pre-algebra book which should be published soon - you might well find that doing that is your best idea. He does indeed suggest waiting until you student is hairier before doing algebra(!).

Calvin has just started to do the first algebra book (he'll be thirteen at Christmas) and it's definitely a step up from the fractions, decimals and percents. If you wanted to start it with your son, you could always go ahead and just be prepared to pull back if necessary.

Laura

so what do you do for math in the meantime? I will be at this point soon.

Here's some of what we've lined up:

Can You Count in Greek?

Alien Math

Piece of Pi

LoF Pre-algebra books as they are released

a few units from MEP

selected bits from Mathematics 6

Both of these have some algebra, but it's straightforward:

Challenge Math

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius

After these, I'm hoping to have DD the Elder a year or more of Elements of Mathematics (EM) from IMACS before moving on to Algebra. There was a thread about it awhile back.