Menu

How do you "self clean" an oven??

All of the ovens I've had are used and I never have a manual for them. My latest one is one of those glass top GE ones that my sil's mother gave to me when she redecorated. It has a place on the heat selection knob that says "self clean" but I don't know how to use it. :confused: In the past I always cleaned my oven by warming it up a bit and spraying it down with oven cleaner and then wiped all the gunk out and rinsed it good. What does the self cleaner do and how do I use it?? Thanks to all who reply. The inside of my oven thanks you too. :p

I know you're supposed to take the racks out (my oven manual says to), but I usually leave them in. Correction--my manual says it's ok, but they'll lose their luster, etc... More in a later post... That way they get cleaned too (and usually really need it!). I believe it does make the shiny finish on the racks more of a matte finish, though, if that bothers you.

Edited by gardening momma

I am in a similar boat (inherited oven with no manual.) I had heard something about fumes and needing the windows open. Is that true?

Not that I know of. I can get my manual out. It's just burnt food in there. It would be different if it were an oven cleaner you were spraying on. It can get smoky, though, so you might want open windows and maybe fans going so your smoke detectors don't go off.

I am in a similar boat (inherited oven with no manual.) I had heard something about fumes and needing the windows open. Is that true?

YES! It can be very stinky -- turn on the fans, open the doors and windows if you can. I usually set it to clean when I know we aren't going to be home and leave the exhaust fan running. It's not "fumes" per se, but think how smelly it gets when something burns in the oven. Times 10.

Mine is a GE Profile with a smooth top. It's probably about 10 years old (don't know for sure, it came with the house. I'm basing this loosely on the age of the other kitchen appliances).

Found the manual. The previous owners kept everything.

Before a Clean Cycle

The range must be completely cool in order to set the self-clean cycle.

We recommend venting with an open window or using a ventilation fan or hood during the first self-clean cycle.

Remove all cookware and any aluminum foil from the oven.

The oven shelves can be self-cleaned, but they will darken, lose their luster and become hard to slide.

Do not use abrasives or oven cleaners. Clean the top, sides and outside of the oven door with soap and water.

The enamel grid and broiler pan may be cleaned in the self-cleaning oven. However, to prevent heavy smoke caused by self-cleaning the greasy soil in the pan, you must first clean off the excess grease.

Make sure the oven light bulb cover is in place and the oven light is off.

How to Set the Oven for Cleaning

1. Latch the door

2. Press the SELF CLEAN pad.

3. Using the + or - pad, enter the desired clean time, if a clean time other than 4 hours, 20 minutes is needed.

4. Press the START pad.

Clean cycle time is normally 4 hours, 20 minutes. You can change the clean time to between 3 hours and 5 hours, depending on how dirty your oven is.

The self-clean cycle will automatically begin after CLEAN is displayed and the time for the clean cycle is set. The words ON and LOCKED DOOR will appear in the display. It will not be possible to open the oven door until the temperature drops below the lock temperature and the LOCKED DOOR light goes off.

When the LOCKED DOOR light is off, slide the latch handle to the left as far as it will go and open the door.

The words LOCK DOOR will flash and the oven control will signal if you set the clean cycle and forget to close the oven door.

To stop a clean cycle, press the CLEAR/OFF pad. When the LOCKED DOOR light goes off and the oven has cooled below the locking temperature, open the door.

How to Delay the Start of Cleaning

1. Latch the door

2. Press the SELF CLEAN pad.

3. Using the + or - pad, enter the desired clean time.

4. Press the START TIME pad. The earliest start time you can set will appear in the display.

5. Using the + or - pad, enter the desired start time.

6. Press the START pad.

The self-clean cycle will automatically begin after CLEAN is displayed and the time for the clean cycle is reached. The words ON and LOCKED DOOR will appear in the display. It will not be possible to open the oven door until the temperature drops below the lock temperature and the LOCKED DOOR light goes off.

When the LOCKED DOOR light is off, slide the latch handle to the left as far as it will go and open the door.

After a Clean Cycle

You may notice some white ash in the oven. Wipe it up with a damp cloth after the oven cools.

If white spots remain, remove them with a soap-filled steel wool pad and rinse thoroughly with a vinegar and water mixture.

These deposits are usually a salt residue that cannot be removed by the clean cycle.

If the oven is not clean after one clean cycle, repeat the cycle.

You cannot set the oven for cooking until the oven is cool enough for the door to be unlatched.

While the oven is self-cleaning, you can press the CLOCK pad to display the time of day. To return to the clean countdown, press the SELF CLEAN pad.

If the shelves become hard to slide, wipe the shelf supports with cooking oil.

:confused: So you don't spray any cleaners or anything?? You just turn it on self clean and leave it set for a couple of hours and that's it?? What about greasy spots on the glass viewing window?? Does it clean that too??

I've had mixed results with the glass window spots coming off. However, I have found that ceramic cooktop cleaner gets those off very well. I use Weiman's brand, which is available at grocery and stores like Target.

Oh that's brilliant, gardening momma! Thank you so much! Mine is a GE True Temp, but I'm sure it's probably the same procedure. Thank you so much for taking the time to type all of that up. I really appreciate it. :grouphug:

Mine is a GE Profile True Temp. ;) The "True Temp" part is written in a different spot, so I left that out the first time.

Mine is a GE Profile True Temp. ;) The "True Temp" part is written in a different spot, so I left that out the first time.

:) Awesome!! Then it must be the same procedure. I can't thank you enough for going through the trouble! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :grouphug:

A couple more things:

If I recall correctly, the last time I cleaned my oven, the outside got much hotter than when I use it for baking. So keep your little ones away. Also, the smooth stove top got hot too, so you might want to clear your stove top. When I'm not cooking on the stove top, I put anything and everything on it--plastic utensils, dishes, hot pads, etc... I doubt the hot pads would be affected (won't burn), but I suppose the plastic might melt (??). Anything metal or glass on the stove top would be ok, but they get hot to the touch when I clean my oven.

A couple more things:

If I recall correctly, the last time I cleaned my oven, the outside got much hotter than when I use it for baking. So keep your little ones away. Also, the smooth stove top got hot too, so you might want to clear your stove top. When I'm not cooking on the stove top, I put anything and everything on it--plastic utensils, dishes, hot pads, etc... I doubt the hot pads would be affected (won't burn), but I suppose the plastic might melt (??). Anything metal or glass on the stove top would be ok, but they get hot to the touch when I clean my oven.

Good to know! Thank you. Does the heat from the oven affect the surrounding cabinets at all? My oven is sandwiched in between two countertop cabinets.

Good to know! Thank you. Does the heat from the oven affect the surrounding cabinets at all? My oven is sandwiched in between two countertop cabinets.

Mine is too. No damage. I just thought I'd mention the utensils & such, since I've grabbed something from the stove top while the oven was cleaning and got a surprise (hot hot hot!).

Mine is too. No damage. I just thought I'd mention the utensils & such, since I've grabbed something from the stove top while the oven was cleaning and got a surprise (hot hot hot!).

Thanks for the heads up and thank you for all of your wonderful help. :grouphug: