Menu

I need a tutorial on haircolor for hard to color hair...

I have just begun to have my hair colored this past year. I go to a hairdresser but my color only lasts about 3 months or less. My hairdresser recently told me it is hard to color and she may need to try another brand. I am wanted to save some $$ and do this myself but when I tried I followed the directions but my hair did not color at all. It stayed gray. So here are my questions:

1) What brand may work for thick, course hair and last long enough? I am half Italian but have been told that my hair is more like I am Asian.

2) If I already have a haircolor in now (that is fading) do I have to be careful with it turning a weird color or can I pick the color I want? My hair is very dark brown and I have a little lighter brown color in it now.

3) Any tips to avoid getting dye everywhere is appreciated. I am not very good at hands on things like this.

It could also have to do with your shampoo/conditioner..several have chemicals in it that can strip your color over time...the sun also fades the color so if you're outdoors quite a bit you can spray a protectant on it....really, to make your color last, try not to wash your hair more than 2-3x a week. Redken and Aveda both have good color protectant products....

HTH!

(Of course, all that being said, I've almost always preferred natural colors, especially with your lineage...it must be gorgeous!! I have a 94 year old grandmother that still gets her hair colored every month...I have dark brown hair and now getting white streaks..if they were grey I might have to color, but I actually like my white streaks! :))

Tara

Sally's Beauty Supply is the place to go if you have one. Talk with a sales person and they should be able to suggest what will work for your hair. I know a number of women who use what the Sally's girl recommended here and are very happy. A couple of them went in for emergency fixes to their stylists goofs and became devoted customers.

I'm not coloring mine yet, but when I do that's where I'll go for a consult.