Menu

Opinions of Growing With Grammar

Chloe

We loved it for 3rd grade. But, we found it was too much review (and therefore, too boring) for 4th grade. Dd really did not like it at all her 4th grade year. Rigorous bothers me overall. We tried R/S for 6th grade with my oldest. She breezed through it very easily yet everyone kept saying how demanding and rigorous the program was.

GWG is solid. You will cover all the basics. Diagramming is presented early and often. THere is no writing portion, which is fine with me as we use another writing program. It does cover what makes a paragraph a paragraph and topic sentence, but that is as far as it goes. I think it takes the best of the EG style - straightforward, to the point, no fluff and color. And the best of something like BJU - review often.

I would not use it year and after year, however. I think the review and repetition would be tiresome.

We're in the third grade year of Growing with Grammar. My dd went to catholic school first grade and liked the workbook format. She doesn't complain, but we'll be through with the third grade book shortly (she's currently in 3rd -- we started it last year). I've been happy with it. I wish I could "see" the other programs. I'm thinking of grammar island next. I'll call them & explain where she's at--then have them recommend a level.