Menu

First day of Classical Education

My two year old son doesn't have the best receptive language. I tried Beatrix Potter in the past, and it didn't capture his interest-- too much sophisticated language, not enough illustration.

I tried again with "The Tale of Two Bad Mice" tonight-- and it actually engaged him! None of the typical "All done book" interruptions I got with Potter's other books. Hurray! I'm so happy to share with you, my new friends, his first successful day of classical school :)

(And I actually have read some of TWTM, especially the chapters targeted to the younger age group. Still left with many questions. Maybe it was too long ago; maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough.)

You're doing well. The only way I can get my 2 year old to listen to stories is to catch her early in the morning before anyone else is awake. Otherwise, she takes one look and runs away! Usually I read to the 6 month old because he can't go anywhere> Captive audience, you know :) I think it is an age thing. My aunt's three year old when through that phase too, and now he's following her around with large volumes and demanding to know what they say.

:)

Rosie

Can you read to him while he's playing playdough or in the sandbox? Can he color while listening? He doesn't have to sit perfectly still on the couch with you to benefit from it.

But some of it is just discipline. If he were in a daycare/preschool, he'd most certainly listen to LOTS of books each day. Sometimes they like the same books over and over and sneak in a new book. Things with some sort of repetition where they can join in is often nice. A book they want to hear the next part of helps them quickly settle. I often tied signing to books we were reading. They'd do the signs for the animals or whatever.

I really don't think that you'd make a child dislike reading by insisting on reading regularly. I think it's much more likely he'd learn to like it. It's much like diet. Though there will be things we don't like (carrots or possibly Winnie the Pooh), most of the time, we can learn to enjoy most things. White bread lovers can appreciate a good piece of whole multi-grain bread and little boys may learn to appreciate good literature.

Anyway, just another consideration. I do think I'd push a little, but there are ways to make it more palatable.

Pamela, thanks for your ideas!

Strangely enough, my son doesn't like repetition. For example, he gets to play with playdough once a week, which works great. If I take out playdough two times in one week, however, he'll lose his interest in it completely for several weeks. He's the kind of toddler who needs his toys rotated frequently-- otherwise he abandons them completely (like the sandtable I got him :-()

As for reading to him while he's doing other activities, I don't think he's ready for that yet. He doesn't yet stick to an activity for very long unless he gets adult direction/encouragement. So for example, if he's on the loose and I try reading to him, he'll just walk to another room if I won't stop on his suggestion. If he's strapped into his high chair for painting, he won't paint for long before asking to be let down, unless I prod him into trying new things or interact with him somehow.

For library storytime, he can't sit still or even pay attention for the story part, and instead tries to interact with the kids. Most of the kids are like him.

I just can't seem to force him to do anything and learn to like it. The more I push for something, the more he resists. I'm starting to buckle down on having him obey my directions without my having to be hands on (I no longer want to have to physically lead him to the sink, for instance, when I tell him to wash his hands).

I believe in strong discipline, but in practice I guess I have no idea how it's done! And to top it off, I'm surrounded by modern moms who don't believe in ever saying "no" to their toddlers!

Can you read to him while he's playing playdough or in the sandbox? Can he color while listening? He doesn't have to sit perfectly still on the couch with you to benefit from it.

But some of it is just discipline. If he were in a daycare/preschool, he'd most certainly listen to LOTS of books each day. Sometimes they like the same books over and over and sneak in a new book. Things with some sort of repetition where they can join in is often nice. A book they want to hear the next part of helps them quickly settle. I often tied signing to books we were reading. They'd do the signs for the animals or whatever.

I really don't think that you'd make a child dislike reading by insisting on reading regularly. I think it's much more likely he'd learn to like it. It's much like diet. Though there will be things we don't like (carrots or possibly Winnie the Pooh), most of the time, we can learn to enjoy most things. White bread lovers can appreciate a good piece of whole multi-grain bread and little boys may learn to appreciate good literature.

Anyway, just another consideration. I do think I'd push a little, but there are ways to make it more palatable.

Try this series of board books:

http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Merberg/e/B001JS9RAG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

At that age tracking where the mouse or other items are in Good Night Moon is good "look at the whole page" exercise. The drawings really grab littles.

Kiddo learned the days of the week with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Heckedy-Peg-Voyager-Hbj-Book/dp/0152336796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250899779&sr=8-1

and the complex drawings in it allowed much conversation, like the mother hiding her feet.

The Napping House has a little flea toddlers like to find on each page. The repetitive progression and descriptions you can really ham up with high and low voices really charm children.

Have fun!