Menu

DD wants international pen pal

She is looking for a pen pal in New Zealand, to be exact. :lol:

But I'm sure any country outside the US will do.

Anyone know of organizations that help kids to find a pen pal and also regulate it somewhat? This is totally new territory for me. I never had a pen pal. I'm not thrilled about the idea of exchanging addresses with strangers.

DD is 11 and I think another girl generally in the same age range would be nice.

Any info is appreciated.

I did a search on this forum and what I saw was from 2008 so thought I'd check again. Thanks!

Jamie

Post NEW ZEALAND in your title... you may find a friend right here!

My son collected stamps for a cub scout project. I was on a scrapbooking board that worked like this one. I posted the idea & got responses from atleast 7 countries. It was beautiful & so much fun!

Jamie I'm not in NZ but I'm from NZ. I could probably quite easily get a penpal for your DD if you would like me to ask around.

Do they need to be home educated because that might be a bit harder. But I could probably get an Australian homeschooled girl around that age if that would help.

There is a Deb on the board in NZ though, she might know someone.

I had a penpal from New Zealand for YEARS when I was in elem./middle/high school and college -- want to know how I got her? I wrote a letter telling about myself. I chose a town. I addressed the envelope "To Any 5th Grader in Otaki, New Zealand, Australia." Et voila! A few months later I got letters from an entire 5th grade glass, and one girl (the one I corresponded with) wrote me separately (correcting my geographical error! "New Zealand is NOT part of Australia!").

I had a penpal from New Zealand for YEARS when I was in elem./middle/high school and college -- want to know how I got her? I wrote a letter telling about myself. I chose a town. I addressed the envelope "To Any 5th Grader in Otaki, New Zealand, Australia." Et voila! A few months later I got letters from an entire 5th grade glass, and one girl (the one I corresponded with) wrote me separately (correcting my geographical error! "New Zealand is NOT part of Australia!").

:lol: You'd be surprised how many people still seem to think it is.

What a story! Someone at the post centre must have had a kid in grade 5 and passed it on. That's cool, like a message in a bottle, but a bit more reliable.

:)

Rosie

What a story! Someone at the post centre must have had a kid in grade 5 and passed it on. That's cool, like a message in a bottle, but a bit more reliable.

:)

Rosie

If I recall, I tried this more than once. I remember a boy from Santa Monica, too ... yeah, I figure it went the post office, then they passed it along to a school. I'm not in touch with either of these two anymore.

*Lightbulb moment!* Off to facebook!!!

:driving:

I just had to update ... while I couldn't find the NZ gal on Facebook, I did find another penpal that I used to write to last night! I'd gotten him by addressing the envelope "To any 7th grader in Santa Monica, CA" and we wrote for several years. It's been more than 25 years since we've corresponded though, and I found him pretty easily. Very fun!

this reminds me of when our family moved when I was 7. About 3 months after we moved I got a letter from my next door neighbor girl, also 7.

The "envelope" was a piece of yellow legal paper folded the way a 7 old would fold it. It had a stamp in the return address place and in her own handwriting waid

to jenny in big sandy

from jaime in great falls

turns out the post man's wife was soon to be my 3rd grade teacher and piano teacher, and she played bridge with my new step-mom

It really IS a small world.