Menu

My daughter wants to learn Greek/Latin question

dancer67

She has now asked to learn Greek. Can we do Greek and Latin at the same time?

The only Greek Curriclum I know of is Hey Andrew.

She is 11. So is this a good program? Any others you can recommend?( I know ZILCH about Greek)

Can she also do Latin along with Greek? Or only one at a time?

If we can do both,I still cannot decide either between Lively Latin 1 and Latin Prep 1. They almost seem to be the same amount of money. LL 1 seems to offer more, but LP I think is more "rigorous"??

Opinions would be terrific. Thanks:D

Galore Park has a programme. It's quite light and only lasts one year, but we've have fun with it.

You can do any number of languages if you want - it's just a question of fitting it all in. From personal experience, I believe that you need to hit each language at least twice a week (plus some memorisation). Each of my boys is studying three languages at present, but Hobbes will be adding Latin in the autumn. I do think it's easier not to start more than one language at one time: start one, then start another when you start to get the hang of the first.

Laura

So what is the purpose of learning Greek anyways?(I really have no clue about this stuff:confused:)

Should I start with Greek, and keep EFTRU just for a Latin Root Study for now?

Or is it more important to focus on Latin and maybe work in Greek later?

I don't think I shoud attempt both at once.

And if Latin, which program?????? Can someone PLEASE help me decide?

Lively Latin 1 or Latin Prep??(she is 11).

Not only that you can do both at the same time, but there are people who would say you indeed should do it, to get the most out of your classical studies.

Studying multiple languages at the same time is not a problem (in fact, in Europe it's a very common practice, we studied classics AND two modern foreign languages at the same time, over many years, with no problems) - what's tricky is adding more than one language at the same time. It's usually recommended not to START at the same time two languages, to leave at least six months between them, in order to get somewhat familiar with one before adding another.

I think Latin is better to start with than Greek since it's simpler in the initial stages of learning (Latin has simpler morphology and more difficult syntax, while it's the opposite with Greek, at least in my perspective). I can't help with the choice of a specific curriculum because I don't use them (I teach my daughters from plethora of sources, mainly Italian ones).

<<So what is the purpose of learning Greek anyways?>>

We are learning Greek for the purposes of Bible study. About 8 years ago, along with my oldest daughter, I studied through Latina Christiana 1 and most of Wheelocks Latin. Neither of us ever used that Latin and we forgot most of it.

About 4 years ago I took a Koine Greek class and I use it constantly for Bible study. I know that my Latin studies have made Greek so much easier for me and that there also many Bible study tools that help with using Greek.

So I know I am giving my youngest tools for Bible study and if they have a burning desire to read the ancients in the original languages, they can pursue Latin studies on their own (and it will be easier from having studied Greek!).

Okay, so I am going to look into all of this. I think I am going to go with Latin Prep 1. I didn't know GP had a Greek Program as well.

I liked the looks of Elementary Greek, but I am not sure dd will really like it, so we may stick with Hey Andrew, Level 2. I believe it is less expensive.

We are going to do both. I know I can work it in.

Thanks!:D

Okay, so I am going to look into all of this. I think I am going to go with Latin Prep 1. I didn't know GP had a Greek Program as well.

It's a book that they distribute, but they didn't publish it themselves. They are working on Greek Prep, but there's no publication date at present - I would estimate that it might take at least a year to arrive.

Laura

My almost-11 dd is using Elementary Greek and liking it. She is fascinated by Greek and wants to take the high school level Greek class at Lukeion.org (online class, where big sis takes Latin) but she couldn't stand to wait until high school to start learning. So she worked through Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and now has started Elem Greek.