Menu

Even More Latin- ecce and lively too secular?

texascamps

Okay, I've all but hit the submit button for ECCE ROMANI. But I've been reading old threads.

I have 2 middle schoolers who would do well with Ecce.

I have one 3rd grader......should I be looking for a used Lively Latin for him?

Also,

Lively Latin and Ecce Romani are considered secular....does this mean that in history lessons or discussions the early church as a presence is not mentioned? Or does that mean that they don't use prayers or biblical passages as examples? Do they both stick to examples about Rome before the church?

What I don't want, to be honest, is some revisionist classical history, or some subtle denial of the early church's overwhelming presence over everything....where it becomes obvious they are going out of their way to not mention anything religious (even if its topical) so they can be used in public school.

I want well rounded Latin reading children who are not afraid of the word Deus because they didn't come across it in lessons because it wasn't PC....even though it was okay twenty years ago before people got so uptight.

There are some real Latin scholars out there that can help me!:bigear:

I don't think Ecce Romani addresses the existence of the Christian church. It follows the story of a Roman family in AD 80, so after Christ, but well before the Christian church was wide-spread and powerful. So, a valid way to duck the issue, imo.

Just from glancing at titles, the Christian church does not seem to come up one way or the other. There is at least one reference to a Roman god, when talking about a wedding.

You might like Latin for the New Millennium. It's secular, but it definitely includes Christian writers. Ancient writers like Plautus, Terence, Cicero, Caesar, Catullus, Sallust, Vergil, Livy, Horace, Ovid, Seneca, Pliny, Tacitus, Apuleius, and Boethius are presented chronologically in the first volume. Essentially, this volume surveys the first 1000 years of Latin literature.

The second volume progresses chronologically through the next 1000 years and there are Christian writers represented: the Venerable Bede, Einhard, Abelard, the history of the Crusades, moral folk tales from the Middle Ages, and Erasmus, along with other writers who aren't necessarily religious.

The series is secular, but doesn't ignore Christianity, so it might fit your requirements.

Would it be a good follow on from SY Latin 3? Or could we start with the second book? I like the sound of a variety of real texts.

Laura

Latin for the New Millennium, Volume I, is a beginning textbook. The series is two volumes, intended to be followed by transitional Latin readers (authentic authors) and then by advanced level readings. You'd want to examine it first, but it's possible that you could do the second volume after completing SY Latin 3, though you'd miss the first 1000 years of Latin literature covered in the first volume. However, Classical literature is represented in the second textbook by Cornelius Nepos (Life of Atticus), which means there's also some consideration of Cicero, along with the post-Classical writers.

I've looked at New Millennium and I love how its set up. However, I think its too advanced for my kids. (and me) My husband will be teaching as he knows it, but I would like to be helpful.

So, I think we will start will Ecce Romani and when I feel they have a foundation move to New Millennium.

Thanks for everyone's help.