Menu

Drat & Blast!!! My son has decided to change universities

My son has already been accepted at a private college and has an excellent scholarship offer. For the past 1.5 years he has planned to attend this college. He really had no idea of what he wanted to major in, but we all felt it would be a good place to start to "find himself":p

Well, he has suddenly started to mature! He is thinking beyond his dorm experience and golf, and is now thinking about life beyond his college years. I know this is developmental and I couldn't speed it up, but we're now in a position to be PAST the deadline for scholarships!

His newfound interest is petroleum/oil & gas engineering. The University of OK offers this degree and is only 2.5 hours from home. He would have had an academic merit scholarship that would be several thousand over and above tuition if we had gotten this in on time. Now we're in the position of taking whatever is left.

Have any of you ever been in this position? Is there ever any money left? Our family finances will not allow him to get any federal assistance so we're left with merit scholarships. I've calculated that if he receives even $2,000 in scholarships, we will be paying the same as we would have paid at the private college and I can live with that. But I'm really bummed that we might not get what we could have had....:(

Any advice?

I would have him attend the original college to accummulate core credits, and then transfer to the university with the degree he wants. Depending on how many credits he can transfer, he should be able to do this for at least a year and up to two years (in order to take advantage of the scholarship). Also, it would give you all time to look for scholarships at the new university.

I would have him attend the original college to accummulate core credits, and then transfer to the university with the degree he wants. Depending on how many credits he can transfer, he should be able to do this for at least a year and up to two years (in order to take advantage of the scholarship). Also, it would give you all time to look for scholarships at the new university.

major in the first semester of their freshman year. The classes are then sequenced so tightly that it takes 4 years from the date the student takes the first class. Engineering may be one of those majors.

Cynthia, have him call the college. If his stats are really, really good and he explains his 11th hour change of thinking, they may dig up the full scholarship money after all. University of Oklahoma is one of those schools vying for NMS bragging rights...they may be more flexible than you think.

Barb

My son has already been accepted at a private college and has an excellent scholarship offer. For the past 1.5 years he has planned to attend this college. He really had no idea of what he wanted to major in, but we all felt it would be a good place to start to "find himself":p

Well, he has suddenly started to mature! He is thinking beyond his dorm experience and golf, and is now thinking about life beyond his college years. I know this is developmental and I couldn't speed it up, but we're now in a position to be PAST the deadline for scholarships!

His newfound interest is petroleum/oil & gas engineering. The University of OK offers this degree and is only 2.5 hours from home. He would have had an academic merit scholarship that would be several thousand over and above tuition if we had gotten this in on time. Now we're in the position of taking whatever is left.

Have any of you ever been in this position? Is there ever any money left? Our family finances will not allow him to get any federal assistance so we're left with merit scholarships. I've calculated that if he receives even $2,000 in scholarships, we will be paying the same as we would have paid at the private college and I can live with that. But I'm really bummed that we might not get what we could have had....:(

Any advice?

Yes, that's the situation here. He will already have 35 credit hours earned concurrently when he begins as a freshman (which will really make him a sophomore). But the engineering courses begin the first semester of the freshman year.

There are some departmental scholarships available but the deadline for those was March 1. I guess we're not terribly late for those...

as a matter of routine but on a first come first served basis. I'd go ahead and see what the university can do for you for fall. Give them a chance. Usually the apps for state schools are not that complicated, but he probably has to be accepted before his paperwork can go on over to financial aid.

Good luck!

(I posted something similar on one of the other threads re. scholarships yesterday, if you are looking for more detail on state school info.)