Menu

Is there a ton of repetition from R+S English 5 to R+S 6? And if so...

HappyGrace

would I be missing much if I just skip right over 5 and go to 6? I tried comparing the Tables of Contents, but I'd love to hear from someone who has used it!

Especially in the writing portions, more so than the grammar portions-will we miss important things if we skip 5? Or is it mostly all repeated in 6? Thanks!

FWIW, we'll eventually use AG to polish up grammar, so basically we'd be looking more at the writing portions of R+S to make sure we have covered what they have for writing.

Edited by HappyGrace

R&S grade 5 and 6 are similar. They cover a lot of the same things, BUT R&S 6 moves faster than R&S 5. If your DC grasps grammar concepts easily, then I think it would be okay to skip. If they don't, then I wouldn't recommend skipping. There is a little more writing in R&S 6 (32 lessons). (Grade 5 has 28 lessons.)

HTH

I've used R&S English from grade 3 to grade 7. This year my youngest son is doing R&S English 2 and my oldest is doing R&S English 8, so by the end of this school year, I'll have gone through the whole series.

Here is my comparison of R&S English 5 & 6:

-the lessons are longer in 6, and a smaller typeset is used

-there are more oral drill exercises, written exercises, and review exercises for each lesson in 6

-there are 139 lessons in 6, but only 119 in 5

-there are 82 worksheets for 6, but only 68 worksheets for 5

-there are 11 chapter tests & a final for 6, but only 10 chapter tests in 5

-5 talks about verb tenses & principal parts; 6 talks about transitive verbs & action verbs that aren't transitive

-5 talks about linking verbs with predicate nouns & adj; 6 talks about passive and active voice

-5 talks about nom, obj, & poss pronouns; 6 expands on this and talks about relative pronouns & relative clauses

-there's more diagramming in 6 including adjective clauses, adverbs of degree, and adverb clauses

-more advanced concepts in 6 include prepositional phrases as adjectives and adverbs, subordinating conjunctions, and avoiding misplaced phrases and clauses

Out of the 119 assignments in the 5th grade book, only 28 of them are on writing. That is less than one writing lesson a week in a normal school year and only represents 24% of the total lessons. Some of the lessons are about giving directions orally, using the telephone, addressing an envelope, making introductions (when you meet new people), etc.

Out of the 132 assignments in the 6th grade book, only 32 of them are on writing. Again that is less than one writing assignment a week and represents 24% of the total lessons. It appears that there is more writing in the writing assignments for R&S English 6.

Personally, I would not skip a level of R&S English. The program is designed to gradual build on the concepts presented and reinforce those concepts through repetition. I think it's an excellent program. My older boys have a strong foundation in English grammar because of the continued work they do each year in the R&S program.

HTH!

Personally, I would not skip a level of R&S English. The program is designed to gradual build on the concepts presented and reinforce those concepts through repetition. I think it's an excellent program.

HTH!

:iagree:

R&S English 5 & 6 are the most essential books in the series- not to be skipped! R&S English 7 can be done in high school; with those 3 levels completed, you have an advanced knowledge of English grammar (if all material is mastered).