Menu

Questions for those living in Colorado, north/northeast of Denver

My husband and I are thinking of a move to Colorado in the future and I would like to ask some of you who live there some questions. Most likely we would be moving to the Fort Collins area but somewhere between there and Denver with ease in getting to the airport for work travel would be the area considered. I would like to know what aspects of living in this area you love and what you don't. We live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest but are far from family in TX and would like to have a bit more sun and warmer summer temperatures. What part of the year do the temps regularly stay above 75 during the day? How much snow do you get in Fort Collins generally?

What characteristics of a home are nice to have there like mud room with the snow, etc.? Are there certain parts of town gaining in value and others losing?

What are the homeschooling laws like? Are you required to submit paperwork to the schools, etc. Currently we live in WA and have very little governmental involvement. Are there any programs offered by the school districts for homeschoolers?

Can you also comment on the politics of the area? Does it tend to be more conservative or liberal?

I know I have more questions but that's what I can think of right now. Thanks for taking any time to answer these questions.

Blessings,

April in WA

My husband and I are thinking of a move to Colorado in the future and I would like to ask some of you who live there some questions. Most likely we would be moving to the Fort Collins area but somewhere between there and Denver with ease in getting to the airport for work travel would be the area considered. I would like to know what aspects of living in this area you love and what you don't. We live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest but are far from family in TX and would like to have a bit more sun and warmer summer temperatures. What part of the year do the temps regularly stay above 75 during the day? How much snow do you get in Fort Collins generally?

What characteristics of a home are nice to have there like mud room with the snow, etc.? Are there certain parts of town gaining in value and others losing?

What are the homeschooling laws like? Are you required to submit paperwork to the schools, etc. Currently we live in WA and have very little governmental involvement. Are there any programs offered by the school districts for homeschoolers?

Can you also comment on the politics of the area? Does it tend to be more conservative or liberal?

I know I have more questions but that's what I can think of right now. Thanks for taking any time to answer these questions.

Blessings,

April in WA

I can't answer about Fort Collins, but all the hs laws are pretty easy. From the age of 7 you have to submit a notice of intent to your school district that says you're hsing and you'll school 4 hours/day for 172 days (or 688 hours), but you don't have to provide anything else to them (like proof that you did or what you counted as school). You have to test or have an evaluation done (I think every other year?) starting in 3rd grade.

I tend to think of Fort Collins as more liberal, but that could just be a false impression since I don't live there.

I live in Longmont, so I can't tell you anything specific about Fort Collins other than they have a super swim team and a great college.

I love seeing the mountains, usually topped with snow. If you are an outdoorsy person there are lots of bike riders, hikers and skiers here. Temperatures are tricky - I have seen a 50 degree difference from one day to the next. But generally, I see warmer temps from about mid-may until mid October. Summers are HOT! And it's very dry here even in winter. We get dry snow that is easy to shovel but doesn't make a snowman very well.

We have a big house which is nice because some days in winter are just too cold to go outside (at least I think so). I wish we had a larger laundry room because you need room for all the snow gear.

Homeschooling laws are easy as JudoMom said. My understanding is that a homeschooler can participate in public school activities but the district/school has the right to require a certain amount of attendance. You really need to work this all out with the individual schools.

I cannot comment on the politics but most people in our area are Christian. I came from California (raised Lutheran) and did not realize that there would be such a difference here.

Karen

There are many areas popping up between Fort Collins and Denver. The further north the lower the home price, on average, but that's not a set rule.

I second what other said about homeschool. It's not too bad.

Politics are very mixed. Boulder is quite liberal. Rural areas are very conservative. I don't know about Fort Collins but there is a lot of agriculture in the surrounding areas which may make it more conservative. On the other hand, the University will likely still have at least some liberal draw.

Snow varies a lot. You either get slammed with one or two major storms or get sprinkled on through the winter. There are a lot of sunny days, though in January those sunny days can still be very cold.

Very few places are gaining in value here at the moment.

Some districts now have part-time programs just for homeschoolers. There is a virtual charter in the state as well. I don't know if Fort Collins does.

I've lived in Colorado most of my life and I can't imagine living anywhere else. It truly is lovely and there is nothing like having the mountains looking at you every day. I never get tired of it.

Ah! We lived in Boulder for several years while dh was in grad. I really enjoyed living there. It was good when dh finally graduated but I was sad to leave. It has been many years now but this is what I remember: The air is really dry and I had to run a humidifier for my ds who had excema. I remeber the snow being less bothersome than when I lived in Utah. The mountains are very beautiful. I enjoyed the wildlife...canadian geese, deer, squirrels, praire dogs, but then I wasn't trying to grow a garden at that time. I think the growing season is shorter there, they grow tomatoes in greenhouses. I remember fruit being more expensive, but squash being cheaper than where we are now.

Most years we get some snow. Last year was an exception where it snowed all winter long and a couple of the snows were three feet at a time. It didn't melt until late March/early April. We've currently been going through a cold spell where it has gotten below zero many times.

We used to have days in the summer above 100 degrees, but haven't for several summers. I think last year the warmest it got was 90.

I would have to say parts of the town are liberal (mostly the college area), but a lot of the town is conservative.

They already told you about the homeschool laws here. I am not homeschooling now, but did for 7 years. I don't know of any programs offered by Poudre School District (the school district here), but I never checked into it either.

The best place to buy a house is either in the southern part of town or the eastern part of town. The north and the west is older and although it isn't bad by any means, it doesn't seem to be as nice. I would definitely say the south and east would be gaining value (in other words).

If you think of anything else you want to ask, ask away. I'd be more than happy to at least try to answer your questions.

Luanne

I appreciate all of you taking the time to answer some of my questions. It has been a busy week and I have not had a chance to reply until now.

I was thrilled to hear the homeschool laws are almost identical to those here in WA. I was surprised to hear about how much snow you do or don't get in that area. I guess I was thinking I'd be shoveling snow all winter long.

From my previous thoughts and all of your nice comments I think I'm ready to move. Now I just have to convince my husband and most importantly see where God is working. Thanks again for answering questions. I will email again if things progress.

Blessings,

April in WA

Unless your south facing driveway is surrounded by trees. :(

Oh yeah - last week I was trying to decide which was better for my driveway, the salt ice melt stuff tha tis bad for it or my sledge hammer and pick ax.

My driveway faces south, but I have a beautiful Spruce that is GIANT and blocks a good part of the sun. I have a nice tree shaped wedge of ice at the end it. I spent an hour with a pick-ax and sledge hammer before I decided that the ice could stay at least for another week.