Menu

Where would or would you add Latin to this schedule?

Jane

I am putting myself on the line here. I have *never* taught nor studied Latin. My goal is to teach my younger children Latin. I plan to learn ahead of them and hope to begin soon. Fast forward to my current 12yo's schedule:

8:00 R&S Grammar 8

9:00 Saxon Algebra

10:00 PH Science Explorer

11:00 Spanish

11:30 (M) Logic, (T-Th) Spelling, (F) Artpac 7

12:00 Lunch

12:30 Music

1:00 TOG

3:00 Done

As you can see she is an accelerated 7th grader. She is a voracious reader, scores *very* high in vocabulary on standardized tests, and is an excellent grammar student. She has (minimally) studied Greek and Latin roots. I am not open to alternating Spanish and Latin studies because (God willing) she will be working with an outside teacher next year for Spanish. Am I doing her a disservice by NOT teaching this student Latin? Do I need someone to just give me a good kick and start moving ahead with my own lessons so I *can* teach her Latin? Maybe I should just plan to begin studying Latin this fall myself and then begin in January with her?

Opinions? Am I just having a happy hormonal day? :D Is it even plausible that I will have time to study Latin this fall?

Edited by Jane

but beginning Latin only requires 30 minutes of time 4-5 days per week. With the inclusion of Latin in her studies, your daughter's English AND Spanish would be enhanced. I'm not sure where it would fit schedule-wise exactly, but it may be worth your consideration.

BTW, Latin for Children has DVD's for instruction. This is what we use for my daughter and she is miles ahead of me in understanding and comprehension. At the age of ten and after only 1 1/2 years of taking Latin, she can honestly sit me down and instruct me on how it all works! There is also a great program called Latin Grammar (put out by Canon Press) that is designed for older beginning students. It also comes with DVD and CD instruction, making it much easier for parents who don't know Latin.

If Latin just isn't going to work for you at this stage and time, then I'd definitely recommend a curriculum that covers Latin roots and derivatives. The benefits of even that would be with her for life.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

An advanced 7th grader doesn't need LC. Well I take that back. You could double pace it and do both books in 1 year. She'd do better to go into the online Henle class or the new Memoria Press First Form book, either of which would be more age-appropriate. First Form has all the exercises and practice LC lacks or assumes the teacher will bring to it. (LC is what we used.) LfC is young for her age. If she's advanced and language-bent, I'd put her in something more on her level. I know someone on the boards is doing the Henle online classes, so you might do a search on that.

An advanced 7th grader doesn't need LC. Well I take that back. You could double pace it and do both books in 1 year. She'd do better to go into the online Henle class or the new Memoria Press First Form book, either of which would be more age-appropriate. First Form has all the exercises and practice LC lacks or assumes the teacher will bring to it. (LC is what we used.) LfC is young for her age. If she's advanced and language-bent, I'd put her in something more on her level. I know someone on the boards is doing the Henle online classes, so you might do a search on that.

Hmmm. I was leaning towards LC 1&2, but actually I really like the look of First Form. I wonder if anyone here has tried their beta program? I see they haven't yet shipped the final product. I'll have to try searching this board for more info/opinions on First Form.

Thank you Elizabeth.

Angelina (cajun classical) used the beta version of FF this past year with her dd and liked it a lot. She has talked about it on the VP_Elementary yahoo group. You could search to see if she has any posts on it here.

Maybe call MP and see when the full version will be out? The beta I saw was b&w in a binder, where the final version will have color, proper binding, and be more snazzy. If it's just a short while, I'd wait. Or don't forget that online Henle. There's something to be said for getting it done. :)

BTW, I liked what I saw in FF a lot. I just don't happen to have the linguist dd to make me think I should do it. And if you're looking for more options, you could also look at Latin Prep. Not sure how independent it could be, but Abbeyej likes it a lot.

Edited by OhElizabeth

We have used Lingua Latina Par 1: Familia Romana for two years and are very pleased with the results. He begins right after lunch with review of words (on cards he creates himself) and then tackles some of the book. He is in third grade. I have no Latin experience and so professor hubby does it with him, but even when hubby is out of town DS does it on his own because that is the way the book is designed. With three littles running around while DS schools, I really needed a program that he could do himself.