Menu

What do you do with your kids during your weeks off?

So, I am waiting to have a baby any day now. This is my 1st year hs'ing and I have been cutting back on what we do for school. Maybe today is just one of those days, but everyone was whining with boredom by 9 am. I'm sure they would have been no matter what we were doing, but I am starting to wonder what I will do with my kids for the next month (I was planning on quitting school altogether for several weeks). I may have to give them schoolwork just to keep them from whining about nothing to do all day long. What do you do with your kids when you're not up to doing much of anything?

We snuggle up and read a book aloud or watch a movie. We might get a big household project done (I was amazed at how much fun my kids had reorganizing the book shelves) or plan something fun (a picnic, swimming at the lake, getting out the sprinkler, baking banana bread or cookies). We also have a ton of art supplies, and I might just turn my back on the mess in the kitchen and let them have at it all day then order a pizza for an easy supper followed by a family kitchen clean-up.

I think it depends on your kids and how well they get along. Is the several weeks off because of the birth of the baby and recovery time? I would say you'll be very busy and drained with the new baby, so you don't need to plan a lot of extra things that involve you doing extra work. Can your dd take the lead on getting her brothers to do things? Do they respond well if she "suggests" things to play? My 2 kids actually play very well together (most of the time), and they try to let me rest if I'm not feeling well, but mine are older.

Do you have simple board games they can play together (Candy Land, etc.)? I'd definitely be getting some movies together for them to watch. Our library carries quite a few for your age range of kids. I'd plan a quiet time in their rooms every day, if you don't have it now. Let them play quietly or read books. That will give you some time to rest with the baby.

Maybe have a reading time where your oldest reads to her brothers. Maybe she could even get them to play school with her. My older sister taught me to read, do math, and tell time all before I went to Kindergarten. She came home every day and played school with me.

In the morning, we have breakfast, do chores and play. There's a quick group cleanup time before lunch.

After lunch, the big kids read and the little kids nap. Some days I'll let them watch kids' shows on DVD that we get from Netflix.

Then I send them out back to play. Sometimes they play in the sprinkler. Usually, we have popsicles.

We go to the library at least once a week. Every Friday, we go on a field trip. Lately we've gone to the beach (small local beach), the nature center, and the dental museum.

I Is the several weeks off because of the birth of the baby and recovery time? I would say you'll be very busy and drained with the new baby, so you don't need to plan a lot of extra things that involve you doing extra work. C

Yes, that's exactly it. i don't have any idea how I'll feel, so I want to have things for them to do that don't require much of anything from me. Something other than watching TV for 8 hours a day. For some reason that makes them grumpy. . .:001_smile:

Thanks for the ideas.

i don't have any idea how I'll feel, so I want to have things for them to do that don't require much of anything from me.

I find that if I take a few hours to remind the kids how to play nicely, by example, then they're better at peaceful independent play for a week or so afterwards. So, even though I'm not the mom that plays with the kids, ever, at all, if they're whiny/grumpy/uncertain what to do with themselves, and I need them to be good, I'll start some pretend play. I'll be imaginative, inclusive, and calm, and play actively with them that way for as long as I can stand it (about half an hour). I'll repeat this, jumping back into the game as soon as I sniff any little thing amiss, all day. This seems to reboot their internal play systems. Then they don't need me again for a long while.