Menu

What do your preteens go through (training?) before you let them babysit?

That subject line should read: young teens, not preteens...

My daughter wants to start babysitting soon (maybe by next summer when she is 15) but she is an only child and doesn't have any experience taking care of young children.

What do you recommend I put her through to properly prepare her for safety, child care, etc? I am considering a Red Cross class on babysitting and CPR. Is there anything else, anything better? A book? A class? A DVD?

Thanks!

Robin

Our dd has worked as a mother's helper, i.e. watching children while their mother was still at home but busy. She is now babysitting at night, but only after the kids are asleep. I went with her the first time, but worked in the kitchen and all babysitting duties were up to her. She now babysits for this family (who we know well) after the kids go to bed, but dd does not feel ready to get the kids ready for bed herself yet, so the next step will be getting there and helping the mom get them ready for bed then staying while the kids are in bed.

We are looking at Red Cross CPR classes, but are not yet requiring them. We have suggested to her that being certified would make her more marketable as a sitter, but she really doesn't care for babysitting, so she is debating about whether to continue at all... even though we have many friends who would love for her to sit for them, young kids love her, and she seems gifted at it. :001_huh: We will have our dd11 start doing mother's helper work this year, and she she can't wait to be old enough to babysit on her own! She is hoping big sis's reputation will help her get a foothold in the local market. :D

My daugther is 13 and started babysitting this year. She does have experience with her younger siblings, but we gradully stepped her into this responsibility.

First, she took a certified Red Cross course in First Aid and CPR. Make sure they include the child-training portion in the class. Just call your local Red Cross chapter. We were able to put together a combined class of Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts and home schoolers at a reduced rate ($10/student).

I know that YWCA'S usually offer a complete babysitter training course or sometimes even your local fire department. Best advice - call around.

Then, we scheduled some time with the prospective clients "in-house." The child's mom was able to go outside and do some gardening or even take a shower while our trainee was there. If everything goes well with all parties, then we know that she can do the job.

We also make sure that our daughter babysits only in our neighborhood when I am home. That way, I am "on call." Just in case.

Also, the first "real job" should be short. We used to make sure that dinner and dishes were done and the bedtime routine was nearly complete before we left for the evening.

Hope this helps!

Our local community college offered a week long course during Spring Break. Dd attended from 9am until 3pm for five days. During that time they did the Red Cross babysitting course, first aid and a home alone course. They had some guest teachers to come in and do self-defence and a couple of other topics I can't remember. Dd also had extensive experience helping around the house with her baby brother and her other two brothers.

Thanks everyone... I'm going to look into the Red Cross certification or something similar at the local CC or YMCA.

I'm so glad I asked this question. I was feeling like perhaps I was being too stringent in wanting dd to actually take a class/go through a course. I certainly didn't do that before I began babysitting... but I certainly wish I had (not that there were any problems, just that I never felt quite "mature" enough for the job).

That subject line should read: young teens, not preteens...

My daughter wants to start babysitting soon (maybe by next summer when she is 15) but she is an only child and doesn't have any experience taking care of young children.

What do you recommend I put her through to properly prepare her for safety, child care, etc? I am considering a Red Cross class on babysitting and CPR. Is there anything else, anything better? A book? A class? A DVD?

Thanks!

Robin

Both the YMCA and the Red Cross classes are good--BUT there is no substitute for experience. That is especially true with young kids. I would go with her until you are sure that she is competent with them--for her sake and for the younger kids.