Menu

Abbeyej: About Latin Prep again

dancer67

I am sorry to have to bother you again, and I wasn't sure you would see this down below.

About Latin Prep 1. I have little to no Latin Background, is Latin Prep easy to teach?

I know many Latin programs have pronuncation CD's. Is this a must have? I do not believe Latin Prep has this?

Again, thank you for your time and advice.:001_smile:

I'm not Abbeyej, but have used Latin Prep books 1, 2, and 3. Yes, you can teach it with no Latin background. You will need to learn alongside your pupil, but the answer book will be a big help to you. Latin Prep has a download available of readings from book 1, as well as pronunciation instructions at the front of the book. Remember that Latin is a dead language, so extremely accurate pronunciation is not crucial.

Laura

Latin Prep is written directly to the student, and I while I *strongly* encourage you to work alongside or just ahead of your student, I do think it's very doable without previous knowledge. And, of course, there are a number of other LP users here, in case you need additional help.

There is an audio component that can be ordered directly from the publisher. So far it has been available only as a download, though I think the CD is supposed to be released this coming week. I don't consider it vital and have never used it, but I believe that others here have. If finances are a concern, I would skip it and simply make a short "cheat sheet" of Latin pronunciation to work from. The nice thing with Latin is that it isn't spoken, and any minor mistakes just won't be a big deal. I don't say that pronunciation doesn't matter -- but it isn't of grave import the way it is with a spoken language. And listening to scholars from various countries read Latin is pretty hilarious, because they all bring a fair amount of their native accents into the reading. :)

LOL...............Thank you Laura and Abbeyej:D

I know this may sound silly asking this question AFTER I decide to try Latin with my daughter, but will this *really* benefit her? And if so, in your opinion, what aspect?(in comparison to say, a Latin Root Based Vocab program)

Geesh, was my question even good grammar???:confused::D

One more question. If I do either IEW or CW, and Easy Grammar 6, will that be overkill in English Grammar?(The IEW vs. CW will be asked in antoher thread....LOL)

Thanks!

Edited by dancer67

I can't help you on the English grammar side.

The reasons people usually give for studying Latin are:

1 understanding of the roots of English

2 brain training (working on manipulating a highly inflected language gives the brain an extraordinary workout)

3 an easier lead into Romance languages

4 some help with legal and medical vocabulary

5 the ability to read some Classical literature in the original language

Most of these aims could be accomplished with other programmes; what I like about Latin is that it covers so many interesting skill areas in one go.

Best wishes

Laura

For pronunciation hints, go to the Wheelock site where there are introductory pronunciation files:

http://wheelockslatin.com/chapters/introduction/introduction.html

I do think pronunciation is very important. While you may not necessarily run into anyone who speaks Latin (there really are some people who do), I think that you would want to work carefully and develop a proper pronunciation, especially if you're considering working towards advanced placement Latin. You don't want to have to go back and correct poor pronunciation later. At the same time, you don't want to go too overboard with it either. Just do your best to pronounce correctly.

Edited by latinteach

Okay, WHEW on the EG 6 and IEW. We were doing IEW US History this year(planning on it anyway)

So.......the explanation fo WHY to use Latin is a good one.(I wish I would have known all this in high school, ot I wouldn't of dropped Latin 1/2 way through)

I have alsi heard VERY good things about Getting Started With Latin By Linney. Any thoughts on this program?

I have alsi heard VERY good things about Getting Started With Latin By Linney. Any thoughts on this program?

It is introductory and doesn't a full year's worth of Latin if you are looking for high school credit, but many people consider it a gentle introduction. It does have good online support.