Menu

A real room for school

Good lighting, a central table, comfy chairs and possibly a couch or comfy place to curl up for read alouds, bookshelves and bins...

I would get the bare bones together first and let it gel awhile...the decorating and fine tuning will come as you begin to work within your space...

Susu

I don't know how much space you have, how many kids you have, or their ages as that will all make a difference. Needs change.

We only have two kids and I find it works to have both a table where we can work together and a place were they can work independently, preferably where they can't see each other or touch each other!

A couch would be great, but we didn't have room for that so we just go to the family room if we want to read together comfortably.

Lighting is important. Room light is good and use task lights if the room light is not adequate.

White board where the kids can see it easily. I wish ours was magnetic.

Make sure there is a spot for the teacher and your things.

Make sure you have easy access to the teacher manuals and answer keys.

My computer/printer/copier has been helpful in the same room.

Pencil sharpener accessible to all.

Garbage can and recycling can in the room.

Pencils/Pens/Paper accessible.

Will you do art in there? If so, a sink will be handy and a floor that is washable.

Will you do dvd's or videos in there?

Make sure the room is comfortable temperature wise. It is hard to get my kids to work when they are huddled in their blankets!

Each child have a separate spot for their own books, workbooks, etc. This may be desks drawers, bins, separate bookshelves, or crate.

Wall space for bookshelves, posters, calendars, etc.

Think of a homeschool room not as a classroom, but a place to corral all school things related.

Nooks if you can. Bookshelves and a loveseat, futon or bean bag chairs. A place to look at maps and see a white board. A kitchen-type table or activity table ready to go with pencils and crayons in the center. Bright lights.

Make it comfy, inviting and casual.

Okay so we've been out there working on it, :auto:its about a12X10 space. (A 1 car garage, we put up an interior wall and an exterior wall with nice glass doors.) Thank you Sue great advice, we are finding a place for all things thus far. I wish I could post some photos for you all. We have a couch already in the room and so far two desks I still have to get mine in and the bookshelves, and maps etc. Will keep you all posted. And if you know how to send photos please tell. Thanks again to all.

7Th grade boy, 4th grade girl

I have a short table (was a dining table that we cut the legs down on) for games, artwork, assignments etc. We have a rug for when we want to sit on the floor to play or read. I also have a magnetic white board, a bullitan board for the kids to hang their work on (they love to see what they have done for the week).

We also have a easel for art, to hang maps etc.

Bookshelves for games, puzzles, toys and books. I have a library box for the books we get at the library. This way the kids know where to get them and put them back.

Computer, printer (ours is also a copier and scanner), hole punch, TV, CD player, VCR and DVD player.

Comfy chairs or bean bag. My kids are making a "space" for them this week. It is going to be out of boxes we have left over. It will be a place to stuff blankets, pillows and stuff so that they can read or play games together.

You just want it to be fun while still being useful and everything within hands reach. I have an Art plastic bin that I throw toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, scrap paper, cardboard boxes, plastic containers from sandwich meat (cleaned of course), detergent bottles etc for arts and crafts.

We have always had a room for schooling, after the first months when we were at teh dining room table. We have three large desks- one for each of the kids, one for me. We have a sofa and armcharis for read alouds- and the room doubles as our living room and TV area (dh has another one downstairs). We have maps on the wall, and artwork, and a whiteboard I never use. We have the snake in its aquarium, and the dogs have a bed in here. ALl our computers are in here. There's also an art table where I presently have my sewing machine, and a coffee table for putting whatever we are reading or eating on.

Its a busy, well used room right next to the kitchen.