Menu

Asking for advice...What curriculum do you think carries...

afeminame

Grace and peace to you, homeschoolers,

I must admit that History has not been my favorite subject. So I'm not really verse in knowing which is the best one to teach my children from. I've heard alot of complaints about Abeka's History books not being the best out there.

So, could someone explain why and give me a few suggestion on a better curriculum to use for History?What curriculum do you believe carries the best History lessons and why?? Or if you believe that Abeka is good for this subject just explain why.:bigear:

I've already purchase Abeka for this year, so at least next year I can have in mind what curriculum to purchase for next year.

Thanks so much for your reply.

The Story of the World

peacehillpress.com

Great program. We're trying to make it on the book and student pages this year, I miss the reading lists and activities, but couldn't afford the activity book. I don't miss the tests, though. We just flip through and review whatever strikes my fancy now.

I recommend it all the time, even if you only use it for bedtime reading (which a lot of people do).

Asking what History (or curriculum for that matter) is best, is like asking what flavor/brand of ice cream is best. It all depends on taste, personality etc. ;)

It all depends on what you are looking for in a history program. Do you want a Christian, Catholic, Secular or other religious perspective? Do you want it to be just the basic facts (textbook) or read more like a story (literature approach/Charlotte Mason)? What grade level are you looking for (upper or lower elementary)? Do you want it to be in Chronological Order, a specific timer period, or a hodge podge? This will help us to better advise you on what would suit your needs? :D

From what I have heard, Abeka is a good solid program, so you may just want to go ahead and give it a try....otherwise if ou want something more storylike try Story of the World, Mystery of History or A Child's History of the World. :D

Edited by kayinpa

We are a Christian homeschooling family, so I'm looking for something that comes from that perspective. I have an 4th grader, 2 grader, first grader and a 3 year old.

I'm looking for something that will help the children better retain the information. So having a story feel to would be ok. I apologize for not being specific. I just wanted options on History and what you might have found to be very useful to you in your Homeschooling journey.

Thanks for the advice given so far. It give me time to further investigate my options.

We really like Sonlight. It's a literature-based curriculum & they include a fair amount of missionary biographies in their curriculum. A lot of the books are just straight biographies or historical fiction that you would bring your own Christian worldview to as you discuss the books with your kids. But they make history fun and come alive.

Merry :-)