Menu

early morning workouts and eating

I'd like to start getting up around 8 and go do a quick 30 min. workout straight out of bed. The gym is a 1 minute walk from my home. If you do morning workouts, do you eat or drink anything before you go?

If I run early morning (to me, 8 a.m. doesn't qualify), I just get out of bed and go run. If I wait until later (say, 8 or after), I need to eat a small something and then wait for a while before I can run.

(to me, 8 a.m. doesn't qualify),

I know 8 isn't early to many, but it is for me. I have health problems that make it hard to sleep, and I wake up with a lot of pain, that's why I never do the am workout thing.

I get frustrated because my body is so temperamental.. everything has to be just so, or I feel sick.

I know 8 isn't early to many, but it is for me. I have health problems that make it hard to sleep, and I wake up with a lot of pain, that's why I never do the am workout thing.

I get frustrated because my body is so temperamental.. everything has to be just so, or I feel sick.

Would another time of day be better, physically? I get easily nauseated when I run, so figuring out/when to eat can be tricky. My body really prefers evening running, but at this time of year, morning's just make more sense.

I 've taught fitness classes for many years and have read that if you eat a little before you work out, the body has more glucose in the blood stream that it can use for fuel. If you eat something, you actually burn more calories because you'll have the energy to move muscles. The best combo of foods is a carb/protein meal:banana +pb, yogurt+egg, etc. Have fun!

I do drink before my morning workout, usually orange juice, but I don't eat until after.

I read somewhere a long time ago that whether it's better to eat depends on what your workout activity is. Best not to eat before a cardio activity, but it's okay before calisthenics, weights or something similar.