Menu

Annoyed at picky neighborhood eaters

This little girl just peaked my annoyance, although I, in no way, let her know that...that is why I came here! :glare::)

But you're venting to parents about parents that annoy you. And we're all so different that any one idea cannot be accepted by all the homeschooling parents on this board. Obviously, as this thread shows, people feel diffently about junk food. I'll turn it around. It makes me sad to see you be so upset at a child and her family because they don't follow your family lifestyle.

Oh, and you didn't say in your original post that the child said she wanted watermelon in a bratty way. Our responses can only be based on what you physically write in your posts. You left out important information that might have made our responses different.

Edited by Night Elf

But you're venting to parents about parents that annoy you. And we're all so different that any one idea cannot be accepted by all the homeschooling parents on this board. Obviously, as this thread shows, people feel diffently about junk food. I'll turn it around. It makes me sad to see you be so upset at a child and her family because they don't follow your family lifestyle.

Oh, and you didn't say in your original post that the child said she wanted watermelon in a bratty way. Our responses can only be based on what you physically write in your posts. You left out important information that might have made our responses different.

I will politely defer to the post a week or two by SWB...don't read threads that will annoy you.

I'll agree with the second half, I wasn't so specific...again an irritated rant is not always the most thought out post....good grief.

I am ignorant in this subject matter. Is there any particular reason that Aspie children will only eat certain foods? Seems to be a red sauce pattern, as I know someone whose son will eat Spaghetti-o's....thoughts?

Sight - some foods look just plain yuck. Kids with sensory issues are not usually adventurous in trying new foods and appearance is very important. Think of how we can judge someone by their outward appearance. We, as people I mean, might choose to avoid the offending person and might lose out on knowing a fantastic individual. But forcing the issue can color the perception from the outset.

Smell - offending odors are explosive in a child with sensory issues. What is mild to you can be absolutely earth shaking. This goes for sound as well but obviously that doesn't apply to food. My son used to cry out in public if his sense of smell or hearing was sorely tested beyond his endurance.

consistency - pasta has a different consistency than yogurt, or bread, or celery, etc. My son doesn't eat anything crunchy, for example. Strawberries have little crunchy seeds so he doesn't like those either. He'll eat bananas only if they are the exact consistency he likes; he hates too soft or too ripe.

taste - some kids hate spicy, sour, too sweet. All these things are sensed in a much stronger manner than a person without sensory issues

It's absolutely exhausting for parents like me of kids who have sensory issues to help our children adjust. A good analogy that might help you is if you are absolutely offended by the smell of a lit cigarette, and being forced to endure it. But yet so many people think food choices can be managed in a behavioral way. I always cringe when I hear a parent proudly announce they forced their child to eat something he/she didn't like because it was healthy for them. I just don't think it's a good way to teach healthy food choices. I equate it to spanking a child as punishment for hitting another child. It just conveys such a wrongful message, IMHO.

Sight - some foods look just plain yuck. Kids with sensory issues are not usually adventurous in trying new foods and appearance is very important. Think of how we can judge someone by their outward appearance. We, as people I mean, might choose to avoid the offending person and might lose out on knowing a fantastic individual. But forcing the issue can color the perception from the outset.

Smell - offending odors are explosive in a child with sensory issues. What is mild to you can be absolutely earth shaking. This goes for sound as well but obviously that doesn't apply to food. My son used to cry out in public if his sense of smell or hearing was sorely tested beyond his endurance.

consistency - pasta has a different consistency than yogurt, or bread, or celery, etc. My son doesn't eat anything crunchy, for example. Strawberries have little crunchy seeds so he doesn't like those either. He'll eat bananas only if they are the exact consistency he likes; he hates too soft or too ripe.

taste - some kids hate spicy, sour, too sweet. All these things are sensed in a much stronger manner than a person without sensory issues

It's absolutely exhausting for parents like me of kids who have sensory issues to help our children adjust. A good analogy that might help you is if you are absolutely offended by the smell of a lit cigarette, and being forced to endure it. But yet so many people think food choices can be managed in a behavioral way. I always cringe when I hear a parent proudly announce they forced their child to eat something he/she didn't like because it was healthy for them. I just don't think it's a good way to teach healthy food choices. I equate it to spanking a child as punishment for hitting another child. It just conveys such a wrongful message, IMHO.

This is an interesting combo of topic for me. I have noticed similar, only mildly so, issues in my own children. Nothing I believe that would ever be diagnosed. The topic has gained momentum over the years, too, as diagnoses are more common. I can only imagine the struggle in situation where a diagnosis exists. I couldn't make an opinion there, as I have never walked in your shoes, although I respect the amount of patience I assume is required.

So, does this basically mean you cook for dc and differently for your the rest of the family?

So, does this basically mean you cook for dc and differently for your the rest of the family?

My son's food issues must be addressed in an appropriate manner. Our cooking mostly stays simple. All food groups are represented in our meals, but they are simple presentations and not all mixed up. On the occasions that some of us would like something else, like read beans & rice, or chicken & rice, my son eats something else. Since his choices are very simple, it's not a big deal for him to eat differently.

Wow! I don't check in and the thread takes off...go figure.

She did say it in a bratty, turn up her nose, sour way.

No, I don't expect her to watch. I found that she's not willing to eat healthily, but jumps on the junk.

It made me sad that her parents haven't encouraged her to eat well...I've found over the years, since we are the gathering place in our neighborhood, that generally, most (unless sensory issues exist) end up enjoying fresh food when it is continually offered.

it just annoyed me b/c I see it a lot over the years...annoyed at parents, not the children. This little girl just peaked my annoyance, although I, in no way, let her know that...that is why I came here! :glare::)

You cannot assume the parents haven't taught her to eat well. My kids get lots of fresh fruits, veggies, salsa, etc... but given the choice between candy and fresh fruit they will take the candy. I also make them be polite when they don't like a food but I know there have been lapses while at friends' houses.

It happens.

Kelly