Menu

IEW questions -- where to go next?

MariannNOVA

My dd10 (starting 5th grade at home) completed IEW-Student Writing Intensive A in fourth grade last year (she was in an excellent Classical Method Christian School). I have purchased IEW-A from the WTM sale board (excellent material). I have dd's IEW notebook and it is clear that she has completed 'A'.

Do I repeat this? Do I go to another level? If so, which level? Do I select a theme-based IEW - i.e., All Things Fun and Fascinating. We are doing History Odyssey and I would like DD to use what she has learned thus far in the writing that she will do in HO. This makes sense to me -- (which means nothing) --this is a reasonable objective, right?

Thanks for answers and direction!

If she has finished all 9 units she will probably do very well with the history themed IEW- they have ancients and middle ages iirc.

I think IEW is meant to be a cycle, like the 4 yr history. Every year you will want to go thru all 9 units, requiring more of your student. Naturally the second time through you will spend little time on the early units and will move quickly towards the more challenging projects suitable for your more advanced writer. You will require more advanced vocabulary and more advanced structure as well.