Menu

Has anyone eaten a Durian or a Mangosteen?

We went to a Asian Market today. I came close to getting a Durian and Mangosteen for ds, but didn't. I am planning to take ds tomorrow or sometime next week. I know he would love to try these, but wanted to find out about them first.

SIL said that she read somewhere that the Durian has toxic seeds..where are the seeds? How do I make sure they are out??

Mangosteen..do you peel these?

Question about both...Do you cook these before eating?

Both were frozen and suggested to keep frozen.

I have eaten Mangosteen. Yes, you peel it. :) To be honest, I can't remember if I liked it or not. LOL I think I did. I have not tried the Durian. I could never get past the smell. When they are fresh, they smell REALLY bad. My uncle was able to get past the smell and said the fruit was fabulous. I just had to take his word for it.

I wonder if they smell as bad if they have been frozen?

I've had durians, and I'm not terribly familiar since they're not Chinese they're from SE Asia and a bit expensive here. I hear the ones marketed in the US have been geneticaly altered to have neutral odors, usualy durians smell badly (but taste good). Durian lovers complain about the scent-neutral ones.

Anyways durian is a fruit and if you're like me, you seldom cook fruit (or freeze it for that matter). I'd just thaw it out and eat it.

We went to a Asian Market today. I came close to getting a Durian and Mangosteen for ds, but didn't. I am planning to take ds tomorrow or sometime next week. I know he would love to try these, but wanted to find out about them first.

SIL said that she read somewhere that the Durian has toxic seeds..where are the seeds? How do I make sure they are out??

Mangosteen..do you peel these?

Question about both...Do you cook these before eating?

Both were frozen and suggested to keep frozen.

Durian is supposed to smell really bad. I think the feel is like that of rotten onions. You suck the muck around the seed. At least that is how Anthony Bourdain does it. I have seen it make a man, who I thought could eat anything, wretch.

I have had extracts and health potions with mangosteen in it and it's pretty awful.

Of course, to each his own.:p

So you don't slice it, but suck on it?

Durian is supposed to smell really bad. I think the feel is like that of rotten onions. You suck the muck around the seed. At least that is how Anthony Bourdain does it. I have seen it make a man, who I thought could eat anything, wretch.

I have had extracts and health potions with mangosteen in it and it's pretty awful.

Of course, to each his own.:p

Oh I know where you were!!! Yes to the durian. I don't remember there being seeds in the frozen kind. My oldest likes durian smoothies. He also likes jack fruit smoothies. Basically it is just frozen fruit, swettened condensed milk and ice. I don't like them. I find them sickly sweet. We usually get the jack fruit canned especially up here in the Northland. Man am I jealous that you got to go.

I'm not sure the frozen mangosteen would taste the same, but you eat the beautiful white center. It is a gourmet food! I'm sure it is frozen because they can't grow anywhere near here, and it is the only way to get it here.