Menu

homeschooling through a move?

We took a month off of our normal summer schedule. I am so glad that we did because moving in and of itself is SOOO stressful - and I was merely moving across town to a home we used to live in that I love. Still stressful. We had lots of help as well. Let it go! Have fun when you can - I am sure the kids are going to be stressed also. Even my dog was stressed!

Hope it goes well! Don't forget you can get boxes and get rid of them on Craig's list.

Any tip or advice for HS through a move? Our move is slated for two weeks after we start schooling. Should we just wait?

ooh good question! We are moving an hour and a half away from where we live now 1 1/2 months into school! I dont think i can take off a month but I'm thinking I'll get through it by working just math & phonics during that time.

Well, the best thing *for us* during a move was to scale back and only do seatwork. The boys did only the schoolwork they didn't need me for: piano, penmanship, spelling, Latin/ Spanish vocabulary memorization, etc. It gave the boys routine and structure during the chaos, and allowed me to continue unpacking. :)

We've also moved and canceled school for 3 weeks. We'll usually go longer into the summer, if needed.

Both options work. :)

We just took a couple of weeks off.

I had lots of high hopes and ambitions, but it just didn't work out. We were so busy with packing, unpacking, loading, unloading, etc . . .

It was too much to manage. Also, I had to eventually pack up the homeschool stuff . . . so there was nothing else we could do.

If it were cross town, I might try to do some school before moving. But if it is to a far away location, I might spend the two weeks researching the new locale and spending time with friends in the old place. Maybe hitting those last couple of field trips that you'd wanted to do or favorite museums that you'll miss.

Give yourself the time to unpack before you try to be productive with homeschooling. I've tried to do half days of school and half unpacking and find that doing one tires me out so that the other doesn't get done. Better for me to just do an extra week or so of hard unpacking and then have reduced chaos for the schooling.

Have a bag or box of schoolwork or books or videos that you feel ok counting as school. This might be historical fiction that you wanted to do but hadn't gotten around to, topical workbooks, educational computer games, educational videos that you've wanted to work through.

We've moved three times in the last six years of homeschooling. I find it is an incredible disruption. For myself, I have to plan that I won't get as much done as I want, but also have a real deadline for completing unpacking and doing school.