Menu

It's finally sinking in that my 7yods will just not sit and listen to the read ...

Ginger

aloud books "I" have chosen (...Sonlight, VP to go along with dd9 history). I have tried to have him do all kinds of things like coloring, building etc while I read, but he is just off in la la land. He's an unmedicated add'er for one thing. But it seems like his ability to attend during nightly read aloud has gotten worse over the years(this also includes listening to SOTW in the car...he gets nothing from it).

OTOH, he begs for more if I read a book such as A to Z Mysteries and simple books like those. But I want to read something meatier--something to go along with our history studies. I hate to say it, but I really can't stand Magic Tree House---I just didn't see that they had substance to them...but they might be better than nothing. Are their any other books written on a 2nd/3rd grade level that might hold his attention, and are something he'll learn something from?

I've found out that he has the ability to sit and listen if it something he is interested in. I just have all these wonderful books on my shelf that are going to waste because he is too active during our nightly story time to listen to them, then my daughter misses out, too. My favorite part of the day...climbing in bed with my children reading to them before bed, has turned into chaos. Any suggestions?

Ginger, My 8 yo has been similar and is also ADD. For the most I let him choose the books I read aloud to him. I usually read to him at night and to my 10 yo during the day. It would be nice if he would cooperate and listen in with his brother, but that hasn't happened yet. I think it's way more important that he learn to stretch out his attention span, and if listening to books that appeal to him keeps his attention, then I'm willing to go along with that. Robert Clyde Bulla is a good author for transitioning from Magic Tree House type books. I little bit more wordy, but nothing overwhelming at all. Sonlight uses a lot of his books in Core 3, I think.

Does your son read independently? A lot of my concern regrading my ds has eased since he began reading to himself. He now reads 3rd or 4th grade books alone with good understanding and retention. He's not an enthusiastic reader, but is competent. I require he read for 30 minutes daily. I keep a basket filled with appropriate level chapter books and let him choose.

HTH, Stacy

Ginger,

I'll tell you what I've recently discovered with my 7 year old. She's a girl and she is very bright, and she can focus pretty well. But she is seven. I just realized that I'm pushing her into the "meatier" stuff too soon, in order to keep up with the things I want her 9 yr old brother to do.

One night, I pulled out a stack of picture books and we had a grand time. I realized that she is only seven. And I've backed off. I make a point of reading great picture books with her daily, and I expect her to listen intently to our SOTW readings. But as for the meatier fiction, I give her a bit of a pass. Because, again, she's seven!

I want her to love literature, and forcing her, at seven, to focus to an extent that she is not ready for won't accomplish that.

Guess what? Since we've gone back to more picture book read alouds, she is focusing better on our other read alouds.

The further I go along in this adventure the more I realize that 1) if they aren't ready for something, pushing it won't yield good results, and 2) even though my children are only two years apart, they can't do everything together. I got that for math, but I'm realizing that this is the case for content area subjects as well.

I don't know what the answer is for you, but this is what I've learned and it has worked well for us. I hope this is of some help to you.

When my kids were little and learning how to sit and listen, I had them sit on pillows with the rule that they couldn't move off the pillow or make noise. Then I read for a very short time. Perhaps this would work better than your current snuggle in bed plan.

Also, I strongly recommend picking books with SHORT chapters. Someone here recommend Clyde Robert Bulla, and I totally agree. Check out My Father's Dragon. Very short, action-packed chapters.

what I've come to realize is he will have another opportunity to read/have read-aloud these great historical fiction books that accompany whatever time period he is studying now. We are doing Ancients. My ds6 doesn't want anything to do with History and that's okay...for now! Ds8 will do History with us but can't tolerate the read-alouds. We are listening to the Cat of Bubastes on audio now and while dd11 and ds9 are just riveted to the tape, ds8 could care less! Ah well. I figure in another 3 years, when we revisit Ancients he will either a) be old enough to read the books himself or b)be willing to have them read to him. AND, if not...perhaps History and historical fiction just isn't his "genre" of choice (oh blaspheme! LOL!). This kid has a logical, mathematical brain. Perhaps your dc will come around in a few years and if not I doubt he/she will be scarred for life if he/she doesn't read this book or that one. I know...I shudder at the thought as well, LOL!

I would look for books with lots of good illustrations. See if you can find books that are about things he is interested in history. Maybe you can find some stories with characters that resonate with him. I would read to him (without his sister) in short spurts using books that will hold his interest. Then gradually increase the time. After a while you can introduce books that may be a little off the mark but he'll be used to listening by that point and might decide he likes them.

This is what I did with my son (now 11) who is also an unmedicated, sort-of diagnosed ADD-er.