Menu

What to do, what to do?

DD is wanting to get Algebra I of Teaching Textbooks for her Freshman year. Mom is worried that since she got a few questions right on the placement test and she's done quite a bit on algebra in school (they're been doing algebra on and off for a few years quite badly, apparently) as well as the fact that she's pretty good with maths, I'm worried she'll finish it before the year is up and we won't have the money for Geometry or Algebra II depending on what she wants to do next. Agh D: Help, anyone?

Take a look at Kinetic Books and see if she'll be happy with it. You can get a one-year online subscription for just $34.95 or buy a cd-rom that won't timeout for $39.95. The only catch is that you don't have anything to sell when you're done. The subscription is one year only and the cd-rom can only be installed on one computer and used for one student. The price is cheap as long as you won't have too many kids that need to use it. If you have 5 kids that are going to need it, then it is more cost-effective to use a product that can be re-used.

They have a trial on the website.

http://www.kineticbooks.com

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. :] A major problem for us is shipping costs. It's costing close to $45 at the cheapest just for shipping because we're in the UK so that's something unavoidable. We're gonna hunt around for a used copy so thanks for that. :]

Me and DD also looked at Kinetic Books, or the sample chapter anyway ;D. DD said she 'liked it but didn't like it like it like she liked TT'. She said she'd suffer through it if we had to though but she preferred TT.

Ahhhhh D: Haha!

DD's now found that KB do textbooks to accompany the on-screen thing so she's now interested ;D She 'couldn't be dealing with just the computer'. I don't know, maybe she had an argument with it? Anyway... she's pleased again now and has emailed KB to find out how much they'd charge to ship here for the textbook so we'll seeeeeee.

My only child is DD though so we definately don't have five kids to pass the curriculum down to. ;D

But basically... thank you thank you thank you. : D

A cheaper alternative would be Life of Fred. She could do more than one book, and it costs less than TT. Plus, dd, who had done a lot of Algebra, found TT 1 to be way too easy after that. She read LoF Begining Algebra just for the story, but is going to do the Geometry book starting in 2 weeks (along with another Geometry book, but I'm rather Draconian with math).

Plus, IMO based on what I've seen, LoF is more rigourous than TT and more fun at the same time.