Menu

Ellen McHenry's Elements

Quiver0f10

I'd love to hear from those that have used this. How many chapters are there and how long is this meant to last? How many experiments are there? Are the experiments easy enough for a 4th grader to understand? Did you like it and did your kids enjoy it?

Thanks!

I have not used The Elements yet so I can't answer all of your questions. There are 8 chapters. My plan is to use this on Fridays throughout the year with some additional chemistry books that I found at a used book store with my 4th grader. Many of the activities look fun so my son and I will probably do them with my dd. I have not looked at them closely enough to see if my dd could do them by herself. I will say it is one of the things I am most looking forward to teaching this year. Hopefully someone who has used this will chime in and answer more of your questions.

Jan

You can certainly make it last the year with the games and songs, adding in memory work, etc. However, if you'd like to go through it more quickly, you could do Elements in one semester, then do her newer, carbon chemistry book the second semester.

I'll have to go pull my book to tell you exactly how many chapters/activities there are. I know I've done that for someone before, but I can't seem to find the post now.

Not only have my children liked this book, but all the kids I know around here who are gifted in science have used this programming and loved it during the elementary years. Yes, I believe it is just right for a fourth grader. I think it's easy to teach.

Have you looked at her website? http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id25.html

I'd love to hear from those that have used this. How many chapters are there and how long is this meant to last? How many experiments are there? Are the experiments easy enough for a 4th grader to understand? Did you like it and did your kids enjoy it?

Thanks!

We did this last year and it worked great for us. It could be done in a semester or spread out over the year. We ended up using it for a year since we had several false starts with science last year.

You could supplement with some living books on science and use it for the entire year.

The experiments were very easy to understand and doable for me, someone who dislikes experiments. I learned a lot about the periodic table as well. There are also many games that can used during and after your study to help retain the information.

I would say it could be seen as the LOF of science.

Just a note as well. I ordered the hard copy from RR. I almost wish I had ordered the DVD from the author. I made a copy for ds (allowed by the author) and my printer did not have a fast draft option on copy. If you plan on making multiple copies it might be more cost effective to simply order the DVD.