Menu

Greek for 1st grader (and on up?)

Nancy in DC

This may be covered in a post already-- please direct me to it if I'm covering old ground. I would love any recommendations for exposing my DD in 1st grade to Greek this year, since we're doing ancient history. My DS will be in 5th, and his brother, in 7th. So-- really, I'm going to need a couple of different things. Also, what's a great Latin program for the 1st grader? My older kids really love Latin Prep. All of them love languages and are bilingual in Spanish. Thank you so much for any advice!

I'm so glad to have those ideas. Will look up both. Any ideas for starting to expose the 1st grader to Latin? (Prima Latina turns out not to be our thing. My older kids found it so dry.)

Many thanks!

Same answer. Hey Andrew... also has a Latin Program. My boys did Levels 1-3. So you could get both from the same site.

These are done by a Homeschool family, and the mom, Karen Mohs, is VERY helpful and encouraging! She usually answers questions the same day, or very soon if not. I enjoyed having her suggestions and kind words, so liked supporting their program!

Last year, we tried the Greek Alphabetarion. That was a mistake. I'm not ready to say it's the fault of the curriculum. I think it was more a case of me making a poor choice. For the coming year, we'll be using Hey, Andrew! for Greek. It is much more suitable for younger kids. The GA really didn't have much for them to interact with. They did like listening to the CD of pronunciations, but even I thought it was dry as bones.

For Latin, I highly recommend Song School Latin. That has been a blast. We'll be taking 3 years with that and then moving on to Latin for Children.

After the first level of Hey, Andrew! for Greek, I'm going to take a look at Elementary Greek. I saw that someone on these boards (Beth from Central Texas?) posted that her husband the Greek professor recommends it.

So many choices...

Classical Academic Press just came out with Song School Greek. I haven't used it, yet, but if it's anything like Song School Latin, I'm sure it's a lot of fun.

-Nancy-- if you find your kids are moving through SSL faster than expected, I've found Minimus to be a great bridge between SSL and Latin for Children.

I've barely begun homeschooling my own kids, but I'm the Latin teacher at our local co-op. One of the things I've learned so far is that it's a pretty big leap from SSL to LFC. I don't know if CAP plans to fill this gap.

-hth

Edited by LutheranGirl
Typing from an iPhone.

I would recommend Elementary Greek. It is Koine Greek, but we plan to eventually transition to, um, Attic (?) Greek. I'm sorry, I can't remember what the classical Greek is called.

And Song School Latin is often recommended for younger students on this board. I have not used it, though. I have also not used the "Hey, Andrew!" series for Greek.

Edited to add: don't forget that your first grader should have a shorter school day than your olders, so she might not have time for Greek and Latin.

Julie

Thank you all for this fabulous help. And Julie, I specialize in being overambitious, biting off my than I can chew, and having my eyes be bigger than my (academic) plate. Year after year in August, until reality hits. So thank you for the reminder. I'm looking into Alphabet Code Cracker, Hey, Andrew, and Song Latin. Very excited as to what I'll find.