Menu

Mosdos Literature questions

HappyGrace

I've just started checking this out but I can't find large enough samples of the TM on the site-is there somewhere else I can look?

I don't mind it being secular, but does it push a liberal agenda at all?

Mosdos looks like just what I'm looking for to incorporate higher level analysis with vocab, etc. integrated, but isn't there anything like Mosdos out there that uses classic literature? I really wish I could just do lit analysis like this with the books we're reading, but I need more handholding!

I'm off to check out old threads on it, but these were the questions I came up with so far!

Edited by HappyGrace

Mosdos definitely does not have a liberal agenda. It doesn't have any agenda at all that I could find. I believe it is written for use in Jewish schools, but there is no Jewish agenda, either (is there such a thing?). The stories are conservative, in that they wouldn't feature, for example, philandering husbands or pregnant teenagers. Think O. Henry and the like--stories with a moral but without a religious bent.

The TM is fabulous if you need hand-holding. I was able to hold sensible discussions with my daughter even about the selections I had not read. Each page of the TM includes the full student page, which I love, so I can see exactly what she sees in her textbook.

We used Mosdos gold, loved it and will use the earlier levels when my younger daughter is old enough for it.

Terri

Mosdos definitely does not have a liberal agenda. It doesn't have any agenda at all that I could find. I believe it is written for use in Jewish schools, but there is no Jewish agenda, either (is there such a thing?). The stories are conservative, in that they wouldn't feature, for example, philandering husbands or pregnant teenagers. Think O. Henry and the like--stories with a moral but without a religious bent.

Terri

The is very interesting. Where did you read that it was originally written for Jewish schools? That would be a plus for me.

I didn't check the link above, but in addition to reading it somewhere, you can take a look at the advisory board (or whatever they call it) in the front of the book--it includes a number of rabbis and what appear to be Jewish names.

I find it a wee bit ironic that the materials written for use in Jewish schools are so useful in a Christian homeschool, while I can't think of anything written for Christian schools that would be useful to a Jewish homeschooler.

Terri