Menu

compare abeka and saxon math

I have had my dd do abeka math since 4th grade, she is now going to be switching to saxon for algebra. I gave her the assessment tests and she is struggling to get through the 87 and algebra 1/2 tests. Is saxon that much harder than abeka, or could it just be summer forgetfulness?

Amy

My son always struggled with math. We had used Saxon for a few years before Algebra so we just continued on. It was a disaster. Saxon Algebra, while it may be great for some students who "get" math, is not for the struggling student. I found that in the teaching examples, Saxon often left out showing assumed steps, so it was incomprehensible to the struggling student. When I found that it would take me 1/2 an hour just identifying those assumed steps in one problem, I realized that we had to change. I found that ABeka algebra was much more user-friendly, although he still had difficulties with the math.

My dd struggles as well, but I've decided to use the Key to Algebra for her. I wish I had with my son.

Linda

We do Math year round so my dc finish the 6th grade Abeka book when they are in 5th grade. Then we do Saxon 8/7 for 6th grade, Algebra 1/2 for 7th grade, Algebra 1 for 8th grade and so on.......

This has worked well for us. I usually give them the Saxon placement test after they finish the Abeka 6 book and all 3 have tested for 8/7 or Algebra 1/2.

My son always struggled with math. We had used Saxon for a few years before Algebra so we just continued on. It was a disaster. Saxon Algebra' date=' while it may be great for some students who "get" math, is not for the struggling student. I found that in the teaching examples, Saxon often left out showing assumed steps, so it was incomprehensible to the struggling student. When I found that it would take me 1/2 an hour just identifying those assumed steps in one problem, I realized that we had to change. I found that ABeka algebra was much more user-friendly, although he still had difficulties with the math.

My dd struggles as well, but I've decided to use the Key to Algebra for her. I wish I had with my son.

Linda[/quote']

I always heard that Key to algebra was not to be used for a full course of algebra one. That is it more of extra work for the student to do. AM I wrong? My dd hates Saxon algebra and is having a horrible time with it. is there anything else out there for the student that struggles with algebra?

I don't mind ABeka for elementary math--I used it with one of my dds. ABeka's high school math is a completely different story.

ABeka did not 'create' their Algebra 1 and above courses. They are reprints from math texts that are nearly 100 years old! (Algebra 1 is a 1914 Heath Mathematics text). Besides being 'outdated' and missing a few key concepts, you will find very little student support outside of the answers. There is no teacher's edition (what they call the TE is just the student text with answers filled in). The lessons/examples are inadequate.... I had to teach from it (at a private school) and I ended up supplementing most lessons.

Don't even get me started on how bad their Geometry program is!

---

I taught/tutored Saxon for many years. It is the main program my girls used through 8/7. When my oldest started 8/7 I found out that the Saxon method was not working for her--she was not retaining and she could not 'connect' the disconnected lesson fragments. She needed a more traditional program so we switched to Lial.

If you need an inexpensive traditional (concepts taught by chapter) math program look at Lial. The older editions (7th and 8th ) are easy to find for less than $20 each. Solutions manuals (showing worked out problems) and video lessons (called DVTs) are also easily found. This is the series I use with my online classes. The lessons are clear and detailed. ALL of the teaching is in the student text (as well as all of the answers/tests you would need).

Chalkdust is another great program--you can look at some recent threads to find out how you can get the same program without going through 'Chalkdust' directly--saving lots of $$$$

There are so many 'better' options for homeschool high school math other than ABeka --and even Saxon.

Thank you, that is just what I was wondering. I have the Abeka Algebra 1 book. I was looking at it and it just didn't seem to be much instruction, and in some cases, very few problems to work.

We have dd signed up for saxon through a coop type program, but I am not sure it is right for her. She struggles with math.

I love math. And I love the chalkdsut video samples that I saw. My dd just didn't get them. Of course she hated the look of video text and teaching textbook too. I think if she had her way, she just wouldn't do math at all...but since that isn't an option...

I will have to look at Lial.

Thanks again.

I'm actually responding to several comments here. As to ABeka having created their algebra curriculum, I'm not certain that anyone has suggested that; if so I haven't seen that comment. I have said we liked it and that it worked for us. I would have to be a mathematician to be able to compare texts to see if some concepts were taught or not taught or perhaps taught differently. We found it to be more understandable and teacher friendly than Saxon. I found the edition we were using to be sufficient. We found the instruction to be sufficient; we found the solutions manual to be sufficient--I think it's really mandatory to have solutions manuals to see how the solution is worked. We worked from an older edition so I can't speak for the current edition, but there sure were more than enough practice problems. In fact, we had to do careful planning in order to get them all done.

As for the Key To... series. it has been said on these boards that the Key To...algebra goes through quadratic equations, which (it was stated) is complete for an Algebra 1 course. My dd does not have plans to go into any careers that are likely to require any more advanced math. And if it turns out that her GED and SAT scores show that she needs remedial math, she can do that when and if she goes to college, just as my older son (who also struggled with math) did. It's not a big deal, it just delays their math track a semester or 2. We/she have/has had so much struggle and tears with math I am unwilling to continue such stress further if it's not necessary, and IMO, it simply is not that necessary.

I cannot guarantee that Key to Algebra will work for anyone. I'm just stating an option that I think will work for us and might be considered by others with kids who struggle with math.

Linda