Menu

Singapore Addition Question

classicHSmom

We are finishing Singapore 1B (US ed.). They teach two digit addition horizontally with number bonds; hope this makes sense. Does Singapore ever teach addition vertically? I can see the rationale for doing it the Singapore way, but, in my mind, it seems easier to add the numbers vertically.

Thanks for your input.

We're in 2A and working on addition and subtraction vertically (standard algorithm).

My impression is that 1 works on getting the foundation for mental math and solidifies the number bond concept. I did a lot of extra drill in 1 with addition and subtraction with numbers under 10. Don't worry about vertical set up in 1 - it'll be there in the second section of 2A. :001_smile:

Singapore does teach the standard addition algorithm but learning it horizontally reinforces place value. It is important to practice doing it mentally (with 2 and 3 digit numbers) after the standard algorithm is learned also.

We are on that EXACT lesson in 1B. I was wondering that also. I'm also supplementing with math drills on the side and we're taking a week off from math to completely memorize our addition and subtraction math facts. I know this sounds archaic, but I just can't see progressing until we've got a solid foundation in math facts. I get tired of seeing "the fingers". :tongue_smilie:

As mentioned, the other method is taught in 2A. My dd prefers horizontal addition/ subtraction and hasn't taken well to the change. :001_huh:

I got the Miquon series this year and using some of its pages has really helped with place value and carrying/borrowing. Also base 10 blocks have helped. (And provided some motivation for doing the work by hand - for whatever reason my son hates using the base 10 blocks, so he really wants to get the problem correct the first time.)

We are on that EXACT lesson in 1B. I was wondering that also. I'm also supplementing with math drills on the side and we're taking a week off from math to completely memorize our addition and subtraction math facts. I know this sounds archaic, but I just can't see progressing until we've got a solid foundation in math facts. I get tired of seeing "the fingers". :tongue_smilie:

I did it with my kiddos on a white board so they can "see" how it works.

For example p. 146:

83 - 5= I ask, "What do we do first?" (Break the 5 down into 3 and 2.)

....../.\

83-3-2= I ask, "Now what?" (Take the 83 and subtract the 3 to get 80.)

\.../

.80-2= I ask, "What is the answer?" (78!, which they usually tell me before I ask).

The reason for doing this is getting them into the base 10 thinking, seeing numbers as fluid, and not needed to memorize any facts beyond the 1-10.

If needed I start even father back and I tell them the 5 needs broken down so that you can subtract it from the three, then ask them what would I break the 5 into...that will usually get them started. The more we work with it the more they can take over and tell me what needs to be done as well as the answers. Eventually they figure out it is faster to do it on their own, than it is to tell me what to do and they take it over.

You really don't want to see them using fingers. I would rather they work with some sort of manipulative, and physically break it into two piles. That way they are also learning to see quantities.

Heather

Edited by siloam

For example p. 146:

....../.\

83-3+2= I ask, "Now what?" (Take the 83 and subtract the 3 to get 80.)

\.../

.80+2= I ask, "What is the answer?" (83!, which they usually tell me before I ask).

I'm sure this was a typo but don't you mean 80 -2 = 78 as in 83 -5 = 78

:tongue_smilie:

:tongue_smilie:

Yes, and I did that twice this morning! Twice! How does one who loves math make the same mistake twice in one morning? :blink:

No that is what you do when you really want to see if pepople are paying attention, yea that is it. I did it on purpose! :smilielol5:

Heather

We are finishing Singapore 1B (US ed.). They teach two digit addition horizontally with number bonds; hope this makes sense. Does Singapore ever teach addition vertically? I can see the rationale for doing it the Singapore way, but, in my mind, it seems easier to add the numbers vertically.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, they will receive instruction on "how to" add vertically with the carry rules. However, with mastery of the bonds, the child should be able to add 2,3, or even 4 places mentally. IMHO, bond concept is paramount at this stage.

As other posters indicated, they do start vertical addition/subtraction in 2A. However, they also continue with mental math drills (horizontal) that are in the TG or the HIG. Also, 2B starts with more sophisticated mental addition/subtraction. Before you get to the mental math drills in 2A, and the mental math in 2B, you should have the skills in 1B fairly solid. It will prepare your dc for the higher levels. Also, if you are not also doing the IP for 1B, I highly recommend doing it. There are some nice exercises for these skills in it.

I did it with my kiddos on a white board so they can "see" how it works.

For example p. 146:

....../.\

83-3-2= I ask, "Now what?" (Take the 83 and subtract the 3 to get 80.)

\.../

.80-2= I ask, "What is the answer?" (78!, which they usually tell me before I ask).

Those of you having HIGs or TGs, do they deal with how to teach this type of addition in these books?

Is this the method they reccommend?

Do they reccommend any metal math techniques?

The above method is what I personally use when doing mental math. But that came after years of mental math.

I do think of allowing my kids use manipulatives, but feel they may get TOO used to them & will not try mental math.

Those of you having HIGs or TGs, do they deal with how to teach this type of addition in these books?

The above method is what I personally use when doing mental math. But that came after years of mental math.

I do think of allowing my kids use manipulatives, but feel they may get TOO used to them & will not try mental math.

I'm a rabid Singapore user but we rarely used manipulatives. The principles behind bonds is what clearly tipped the scales for me using Singapore in the first place. I majored in math and like you came up with that on my own. Now, my dd's mental math far surpasses mine at her age. It's quite a delight to see.

I think the use of manipulatives is exactly the place to start for mental math. Singapore's method progresses from the concrete to the abstract, and they advocate the use of manipulatives to start. We use them -- but only until dds are ready to progress without them.

Yes the HIG's do. They also include mental math worksheets, which you use anytime you feel the need.

Right Start also works heavily on mental math with daily warm ups, and not only works on base 10 math but also base 5. (8+8 can be seen as 3+5+5+3, then you have 3+10+3 and quickly come to 16. It also teaches 8+8=8+2+6=10+6=16 like Singapore).

Here are some HIG samples that might help:

From 1b sample 1.

Sample 2

Sample 3

From 2b sample 1

Hope that helps!

Heather

I'm just starting homeschooling this year. I'm starting with Singapore 1B, because of the placement tests. I haven't gotten the HIG because I just assumed math facts were just memorized like when I was a kid and good grief, how hard is it to teach basic math at this point in the game. I don't want to miss out on something important in her foundational knowledge of math. Hmmm. I'm thinking now maybe the HIG might be a necessary thing?

Edited by psychgal