Menu

Anyone started HOD yet?

We are doing two manuals of HOD this year and we just started. Other than the fact that there was a mention of the "5 oceans...the Antarctic Oceans (???)" (even though only 4 are really learned and talked about in the book), we are really enjoying the approach and the history/Science that HOD uses. My kids are loving the read alouds and the living books!

We are also using the workbox system. I did a bunch of organizing prior to starting our year and it has really paid off. My kids LOVE their workbox shelves. They know when breaks are coming and it helps them so much to have that visual "checklist." They are working so much better for me this year and I think workboxes and HOD are 2 big reasons for that!

So...anyone else started HOD yet? If so, which manual and what do you think of it? If you have any neat tips regarding the organizations, the notebooking, etc. in Beyond and Bigger, please share those too as I am always on the lookout for neat things to make me more organized (OCD, obviously! LOL).

I am still considering LH for my ds 6, for first grade - I have to make a decision SOON!

Emilylou, I checked out your blog to see if I could learn about the HOD programs you're doing, and saw that we likely live not far from one another, judging by the museums you're visiting, etc. Cool!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

They are working so much better for me this year and I think workboxes and HOD are 2 big reasons for that!

This is my hope for my ds this year. We are starting Preparing and the Workbox System Aug 24th. It will be our first year using Hod and for the first time ever, I feel completely content with what we've chosen.

Yep! LOL. There are 5 listed on my map. The 5th one is called the "Southern Ocean" and it is down next to Antarctica. It makes sense, but when I read 5 oceans to my son in the manual and then turned around and read how there were 4 oceans in God's Wonderful Works...needless to say, he was a bit confused.

The Southern Ocean and Antarctic Ocean are different names for the same ocean. It's also sometimes called the Great Southern Ocean or the South Polar Ocean. I can see how it could get confusing, though, when the book and map aren't consistent.

We are doing BHFHG, LHFHG, and LHTH right now and have been some over the summer to get a feel for home school and HOD. I too had trouble with the oceans. I am so glad it wasn't just me (geography was never my thing LOL).

Bigger is going well. I did make some notebooking forms for science so my dd (perfectionist) didn't have out a ruler and spend 20 minutes making a "perfect" T-form. Plus it helped with her writing the verses and questions and conclusions straight and not curving it upwards at the end. I just made them in Word and print them out when needed.

The best thing that I bought was those little index tabs that you can stick to the book and write on. I have my appendix tabbed and it is super easy to find dictation, poetry, spelling...in BHFHG and the alternate schedules in LHFHG. It made life so much easier when I have to use anything in the appendix.

We are doing BHFHG, LHFHG, and LHTH right now and have been some over the summer to get a feel for home school and HOD. I too had trouble with the oceans. I am so glad it wasn't just me (geography was never my thing LOL).

Bigger is going well. I did make some notebooking forms for science so my dd (perfectionist) didn't have out a ruler and spend 20 minutes making a "perfect" T-form. Plus it helped with her writing the verses and questions and conclusions straight and not curving it upwards at the end. I just made them in Word and print them out when needed.

The best thing that I bought was those little index tabs that you can stick to the book and write on. I have my appendix tabbed and it is super easy to find dictation, poetry, spelling...in BHFHG and the alternate schedules in LHFHG. It made life so much easier when I have to use anything in the appendix.

Oh...share your template, please!! :) Pm me and I will give you my e-mail if you don't want to post it here.

I cut the spine off my manual and put it in a 3-ring binder with the index tabs. It is sooo nice that way. I can't imagine flipping around in the book all the time. :)

We haven't started but will be starting PHFHG with extensions and LHFHG after Labor Day. Rebecca, (tree house academy) I saw that you are using The Speedy Spanish with your older dc. How do you like it? I do not mean to hijack your thread or anything.

Oh...share your template, please!! :) Pm me and I will give you my e-mail if you don't want to post it here.

I cut the spine off my manual and put it in a 3-ring binder with the index tabs. It is sooo nice that way. I can't imagine flipping around in the book all the time. :)

How do I attach them? They are larger than 19.5 kb so I can't attach.

Edited by OpenMinded

Hi Rebecca,

Don't mean to hijack again (like another post I read):) but I am planning on doing HOD but am also looking at CLE for LA. I noticed you are doing that as well. Could you tell me your experience with CLE have you used it long? Also, do you then skip the LA portions of HOD or do them as well?

Thanks,

Shannon

I plan on using the blog to post about HOD... but we haven't started yet.

Where do you live? I live in SGF.

:)

I am still considering LH for my ds 6, for first grade - I have to make a decision SOON!

Emilylou, I checked out your blog to see if I could learn about the HOD programs you're doing, and saw that we likely live not far from one another, judging by the museums you're visiting, etc. Cool!

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

We haven't started but will be starting PHFHG with extensions and LHFHG after Labor Day. Rebecca, (tree house academy) I saw that you are using The Speedy Spanish with your older dc. How do you like it? I do not mean to hijack your thread or anything.

We are enjoying Speedy Spanish. It is light - no writing yet and just lots of repeating the words. It has been fun for my son, if nothing else. It is what we were looking for right now. :)

Hi Rebecca,

Don't mean to hijack again (like another post I read):) but I am planning on doing HOD but am also looking at CLE for LA. I noticed you are doing that as well. Could you tell me your experience with CLE have you used it long? Also, do you then skip the LA portions of HOD or do them as well?

Thanks,

Shannon

We have used CLE LA for about 6 months now. I really enjoy it. For my older son who uses Bigger w/extensions, we do CLE LA together. From HOD, I have him do Poetry and copywork from the poetry. I also have him do the dictation. He is a struggling writer and LA is tough for him, so we do more than I would do if that weren't the case. For my younger son who is doing Beyond, we do 2 phonics programs (PP and ETC) in addition to CLE LA. In the HOD manual, we still do poetry, copywork, and spelling (because 1st grade CLE LA does not really include much spelling.

Edited by Tree House Academy