Menu

Need sewing machine rec.

I want a sewing machine!! :tongue_smilie: Problem is that I don't really know how to sew. And I don't really have a lot of space. It would have to be something I could use on my dining table. And not too expensive.

Mainly I'm looking for something I can use to make simple jammies and play outfits for the kids, plus sewing strips for quilts. I want to hand quilt, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be able to do that.

Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions? Any other thoughts, opinions, things I need to know, etc?

Thanks!!

Mine is a White. When I bought it years ago I was told it was made by Husqvarna. I was looking specifically for a machine that had metal parts/gears inside instead of plastic and was told the White had the metal parts.

I bought mine at a sewing and vaccum shop (why are those two products together? :confused: ), during a sale they had. I got a $400 sewing machine for $200 and a $200 Husky vaccum for free. (or maybe my memory is faulty, and it was a $200 sewing machine for $200)

I want a sewing machine!! :tongue_smilie: Problem is that I don't really know how to sew. And I don't really have a lot of space. It would have to be something I could use on my dining table. And not too expensive.

Mainly I'm looking for something I can use to make simple jammies and play outfits for the kids, plus sewing strips for quilts. I want to hand quilt, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be able to do that.

Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions? Any other thoughts, opinions, things I need to know, etc?

Thanks!!

Any basic sewing machine would work for sewing quilting strips.

I have a Kenmore Elite, but I started out with a basic Kenmore. It worked great.

You might also try Consumer Reports from the library for reviews of sewing machines.

Good Luck. :)

I have a Singer sewing machine that my grandmother purchased in the mid 80's. Every so often, I get this idea that I am going to sew! and get it out. It has to be serviced because it has sat for so long. I get it back from the shop and my momentum has left. So it sits again.

<sigh>

I would recommend a Singer again because it doesn't seem to break, just needs to be serviced. I'd really like to figure mine out, though. Maybe I should just go and take a class...

I'm a diehard Bernina person. After sewing on a Sears/Kenmore that caused me more aggravation than I care to remember, I decided I had had enough and upgraded. A good machine will make or break your sewing experience, even doing simple stuff. If I couldn't have a Bernina I would get a Viking (Husqvarna).

You should be able to get a good used machine for a decent price. I know Bernina, and probably others, make basic machines and people will trade them in to upgrade all the time. My local dealer has lots of used machines and they certifiy them. Depending on where you get it they may even offer classes on how to use them.

Do you have a JoAnn or something similar near you? Many, if not all of them, offer basic sewing classes if you are interested in that.

Hope this helps. I used to sew a lot of my clothes, but now mostly make quilts and simple things like skirts, which I have a hard time finding lately, at least ones I like!

Last I knew JoAnn carried White machines, made by Husqvarna, so that's a good option if you want a good, basic machine at a lower price.

Thank you!! This is helpful. I haven't been able to find a dealer nearby to where I live. I guess not many people sew down here!! LOL

I'm not sure about where you live, but where I live the local thrift stores sell sewing machines (and they've even been tested by an experienced seamstress). They're very inexpensive, and often they are the older type with metal gears that will last much longer than a new cheap machine made with plastic gears. Sometimes they even come with the owner's manual. Older Singers are definately nice machines.

I'm not sure about where you live, but where I live the local thrift stores sell sewing machines (and they've even been tested by an experienced seamstress). They're very inexpensive, and often they are the older type with metal gears that will last much longer than a new cheap machine made with plastic gears. Sometimes they even come with the owner's manual. Older Singers are definately nice machines.

I'm down in south Louisiana. Not exactly a Mecca for seamstresses! :tongue_smilie: I'll check those places as well. Thanks

The one thing I will definitely recommend is not going to your local Wal-Mart and buying one of the cheap machines there. Particularly when it comes to being a first time seamstress. You want a fairly good quality machine that will not give you fits with things like tension. This is where the cheaper machines have most of their problems and many first time seamstresses give up thinking they just cannot sew, when it is the fault of being a cheaply built machine.

I own a pfaff as did/does my mother. I would probably look for an older, well serviced model of a good machine, ie pfaff, bernina, viking, etc on ebay. Watch for people's reputation and do some research. Patternreviews.com has reviews of sewing machines. The older pfaff my mother used to have from the 80s will sell for only 200-300 dollars (originally costing around 5000) and those machines are still going and work well.

HTH.