Menu

Book IT

I just found out homeschoolers were eligible to participate in this program and thought I would share.

BOOK IT! motivates children to read by rewarding their reading accomplishments with praise, recognition and pizza. BOOK IT! is simple for the teacher to use, flexible because goals match reading ability, and fun because achieving a goal is a great reason to celebrate.

In order for your child to participate, you must register him at www.bookitprogram.com

You will receive all materials through the mail.

Personally, I've found that these sorts of programs often end up discouraging readers in the long run... A kid learns to read - then learns they can get rewarded for reading, so reading becomes fun partially for the reward. Once the reward stops, so does the reading...

A reading lover will read anyway. This type of program doesn't seem to affect them (not mine anyway). Those that are so-so on reading will read to get rewarded, then wonder why they have to keep going with reading once the reward stops (at least mine did - different kids).

We were homeschooling by the time my third son got of Book It age. I'm glad he was never part of it as he's definitely of the second mold.

It can be the same way with jobs. Someone can do something just because they are supposed to (think chores). Then if you start paying for it, they might do it better for a time. However, if you then STOP paying for it, they simply don't want to do chores any more at all as they see no point in it - there's nothing in it for them. If you had never paid them, they'd still be doing it just because they were supposed to.

Something to think about before jumping in... We've learned to pass on these types of things.

Creekland- I can see where this may be a slippery slope for some children but I am fairly confident it will just be a bonus to DS. He is a book lover and we usually reward good behavior with a trip to Barnes and Noble. I just thought it would be a nice gesture to give him an extra reward for making it through some of the tougher books.

We have never had a problem with the kids getting rewarded with things like Book It or the library summer programs. They will read more in spurts because of it, but as soon as it is over, they went back to regular habits.

The reading requirements are so low on these types of things that my kids naturally read way more than required anyways. Dd will try to finish a section on the library program before we go so that she will get to pick a prize while we are there.

Our kids have fun getting rewarded for what comes natural to them.

We have done the Book It program for the last 4 years, but we are not doing it this year. We have enjoyed participating and the kids loved our monthly pizza night, but the service at our local Pizza Hut restaurants (we have 2 in town) is so atrocious that we are not participating for the rest of the time we live here. We are going to replace our monthly pizza night ritual with something else.