Menu

Easy to swallow Prenatal vitamins?

I am looking for a high-quality, "healthfood-store-type" prenatal (or something that could be used as a prenatal) that is easy to swallow (read: small). I have tried several liquid and chewables (my preference) but found that they all taste awful due to the iron. When I do a search on small prenatal, I get a few hits but they are low-potency and contain additives. So if anyone knows of some recommendations, I'd be grateful! I don't mind taking several a day. I'm not nauseated, I just have difficulty swallowing big pills.

If you eat a balanced meal, you should not need vitamins. This also the advice I have received from several obs and mostly recently (3 times) my midwife. She did give me b12 shots when I was run down, and encouraged me to take any vitamin I wanted if I could eat properly. But a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables gives you much more usable vitamins. Of course, if you are anemic, you must deal with that, but prenatal vitamins are not the best source of usable iron.

The iron must be really accessible, because I could tell the difference when I tried the Kaiser generic brand. I switched from my prior Theragram M.

Never had any stomach trouble with these three, but Stuart's gave me the energy that I lacked with the other two.

By the end of my pregnancy, I needed a bit more iron even than that, and added an iron tablet. Bleh. Intestinal discomfort and constipation ensued. Not to mention tarriness, if you get my drift.

Stuart's are not small, but they have a very smooth coat and for the most part I found them easy to swallow.