Menu

Seeking reviews of Exploration Education - considering it for 12yo ds

We used this beginning in August. My son really enjoyed the building projects. As long as one can wield a glue gun, they are not too difficult. All of the building steps are shown on the computer screen and, if desired, you can also print out written step-by-step instructions. We had success with all but about one or two of the experiments, and there are several. I very much liked having all of the needed parts (except for the glue gun) right in the sturdy box. However, there is no text/reading book. Everything is read on screen from a disk. This was not an issue, b/c, honestly, there isn't that much to read. This was my only problem with the program...I didn't think there was enough meat in the reading portion. The child reads a section and then answers multiple choice questions on screen. Those answers are then replicated into a lab-type book. I did like that there was some higher level thinking about making predictions before performing experiments, etc. All experiment data is recorded in the lab book as well. You wind up with a nice-looking lab book so if "showing" something to someone is a requirement in your state it would fill that need nicely. I did have the lab book rebound, as the one I received would not lie open flat. There are cumulative tests for older kids after every unit as well. I let my son do these open book. These were mostly open responses except for some labeling. Additionally, there are some additional experiments for older kiddos. We did NOT do these. The customer service is EXCELLENT. Response time is very quick via e-mail. Also, when my ds dropped and broke a magnet on our tile floor we were shipped out another immediately for FREE. When our rocket did not work, the author e-mailed suggestions and offered to send one they had tested if ours wouldn't fly. AND, he followed up on this. However, it only took us one semester to complete everything. The lessons are just not that long. Even with the building, though some took more work than others. However, we do "do science" every day around here. If you did it three days a week, it would obviously last longer. Gosh, I am rather disjointed here. Let me try to summarize:

Easy to open and go

All supplies right at hand

GREAT customer service

Good projects/experiments that actually got done (not always the case in our

house)

Wind up with a nice-looking lab book.

Good sense of accomplishment for ds in doing the projects.

Dislikes:

Very short reading assignments

For us, I am not sure how ds's retention of the material was (not sure why

this wasn't that high....YMMV)

I think if you lined it up with some sort of basic physical science text that had more detail it would probably flesh out nicely.

We have moved on to BJU Grade 6 science and are doing their abbreviated one semester version of that book, so we have very few experiments now as that is what is omitted to get through the text in a semester. So, I am very glad we did EE in the fall, as ds did get in lots of experiments, something I had been neglectful of in the past.

I will be off the boards for a few days, so if you have more questions, I can holler back on Tuesday.

HTH :)

Exploration Education is aimed at students in 4th-8th grade so a 12-year-old would be right in the middle. I used it with a science-loving 9 to 10 year old and she needed a little help now and then. I think a 12-year-old would be able to do the program very independently, especially if you think they can use a glue gun!

I'd also expect more complete logbook entries from a 12-yo. Addiitonal lessons are included in the standard program for students in the 7th and 8th grades. I'd be sure he did those as well.

We were very very pleased with this program and will be ordering the supplies again when my younger DD gets a little older.

Pegasus