Menu

Few questions about Latin Prep and Latin in general

pooh bear

Here are my Latin Prep questions first

1) How do you plan out your lessons?

2) How many days a week do you use Latin Prep?

3) Are the workbooks helpful or just busywork?

4) Is the audio helpful or not?

My general Latin questions

1) Is it beneficial to work from more than one Latin program or is it confusing?

2) Do you have your kids read stuff that is in Latin, even if they don't the meaning of it yet?

3) Is it better to read Latin out loud, so that you can hear that you are saying the words correctly?

I don't plan exactly. We read some of the text and DD does an exercise or two, depending on their length. We do Latin four or five days a week (with five minutes of flashcards every day), but we alternate a Stage of Cambridge Latin with a chapter of Latin Prep. I drill LP vocabulary prior to starting the relevant chapter. The workbooks are OK; we use them as revision and consolidation -- DD completes the previous chapter's workbook section right before starting a new chapter in LP. The audio is delightful. Only the longer stories have audio tracks, but the reading is enthusiastic, lilting and clear.

1) Is it beneficial to work from more than one Latin program or is it confusing?
We're using two programs because DD the Elder is on the young side and I'd don't want to ramp up too quickly. Neither of us find it to be confusing.

2) Do you have your kids read stuff that is in Latin, even if they don't the meaning of it yet?
No, unless you count the first reading of a new story.

3) Is it better to read Latin out loud, so that you can hear that you are saying the words correctly?
We read everything out loud, and multiple times. Saying the words correctly helps you remember the quantities of the vowels, and (pardon me here... I'm hot and tired and the right words aren't coming) developing a cadence helps develop your ability to comprehend while reading left to right instead of having to jump right to the verb to start "cracking" the sentence.

Here are my Latin Prep questions first

1) How do you plan out your lessons?

I don't really - I just check how many exercises there are in the book and decide where I want to get to during the year, then see how many I need to do each week.

2) How many days a week do you use Latin Prep?

Two sessions, plus Calvin does a little memorisation each day.

3) Are the workbooks helpful or just busywork?

I haven't seen them.

4) Is the audio helpful or not?

I haven't used them, but I already knew how to pronounce the Latin.

Laura