Menu

Classical Writing Homer for 3rd grader??

HollyDay

You guys were so great helping me with my 6th grader - I have a question for my 3rd grader now.

I did not buy Aesop when I bought Homer because I wasnt sure about the program. It was very different (strange acutally) and I didnt know if I could learn to use it or not. Well I am learning and we like it.

Younger sister has been sitting in with us when we do Homer A. She wants to "do the classical too". She can paraphrase rather well. She can diagram up through adj. She understands the concept of scenes and breaking down the story.

Should I start her in Homer with us?? Or should I get an Aesop book for her? Or should I use a book I already have here (Aesop's Fables, etc) and select portions to do our own CW style for her?

She enjoys writing and will sit down and create stories on her own just for fun. Mostly the fairytale princess kind, but she writes adorable stories none the less. We have Spectrum Writing 3 for her but that is "standard fare" compared to CW.

I plan on ordering Beginning Poetry soon to use this summer. Can she do that or is it too advanced?

I would definately use Aesop instead. The thing with (or Writing Tales) is that a child sometimes CAN do the exercises and produce some kind of writing. But they just aren't getting nearly what they would from it when they mature and develop more critical thinking skills. There is plenty of time for the complexity of Homer. Don't rush it.

Heather

I just started CW for the Older Beginner for my 6th and 7th grader, and doing Aesop with my 4th grader. According to the TG, they suggest not even starting "Older CW" until 7th grade because of the subject matter. I am using with my 6th grader anyway so I can do two together.

I haven't used Homer yet so others can probably speak to the subject matter better than I can but just passing along info in TG.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to add that I do think she could handle the poetry. She sounds alot like my 3rd grader and we are doing CW Poetry. CW schedules it in between Aesop so she'd be right on for it. It's not easy by any stretch but it forces them to think about what they are writing. Expect some push back on that when you first start. My 3rd grader is a big creative writer as well and didn't appreciate having rules on what she could write. But it's been good for her.

Heather

I agree about not getting enough out of it.

My 10 year old had the skills to begin Homer 6 months ago, but after looking through Homer I chose to wait awhile. We are about to start Homer A now that he's turned 10, and we're going to take it slowly and plan to spend at least a year on it, even though he is a quick study and a good writer. I want him to be able to handle the depth of the program.

This younger sister is an interesting one to educate. She has sat in with big sister for her entire life so she knows so much more than I sometimes think she knows! But, she is still a little younger and needs more time to develop and mature. I think I will get the Aesop Core and make my own from there.