Menu

What do you do for Reading (not learning to read, but reading literature)

We were using Rod & Staff for Reading, and I like it for 1st grade, but in 2nd grade there is so much work (busywork, in my opinion) in the workbook. So, dd is reading the Emerging Readers set from Heart of Dakota instead (and I ask her the questions from the guide; it's all done orally and she's really enjoying it). I'm thinking ahead to 3rd grade. I'm not sure I want to get HOD's Drawn into the Heart of Reading. It's expensive, plus I've heard quite a few people say that it's overwhelming to implement.

So, what else is there? Do you just get some good literature and tell the child to read it? Do you use study guides, or have the child do some kind of book report? I'm thinking I could use the book suggestions from HOD and have dd read them, but do I need to require some kind of written element?

Just wondering what everyone does. :001_smile:

My DD is in 2nd, and I'm just choosing quality literature at her level, having her read a bit each day, and discussing it with her. She reads for about 20 - 30 minutes a day, and completes a short book report form at the end (author, title, favorite character, favorite part of the story). When possible I'm going to have the selections fit in with what we are covering in other subjects.

We have used Reading Detective, Progeny Press guides, and Sonlight questions in the past. All were OK but nothing special or exciting. We currently get our reading list from AO and http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html and discuss the books throughout the reading. Reading actual books seems far richer than reading snippets and answers questions.

How do you go about choosing quality literature at their level? I found a list online that gives the reading level for children's books, but it's such a long list and doesn't give any descriptions about the books. So, basically it's only good for checking the reading level of books I already know about. I'm wondering where else to look to get some good ideas. (This would also be helpful for this year too, to find more books for dd to read for fun).

ETA: After I posted this reply I saw that another reply came in while I was typing. I'll check out that link. thanks!

I second the suggestion for AO.

I also think Mater Ambalis and Sonlight are great places to look for book ideas

Yep these are good. Veritas Press is another.

One thing I do is read other books by the same author or find other books with a similar theme. These types of choices can help you when discussing the books. It gives you something natural to talk about and helps you to get used to comparing different books and authors. I don't require anything written yet. We just read and enjoy books and enjoy discussing them.

I'm not sure I want to get HOD's Drawn into the Heart of Reading. It's expensive, plus I've heard quite a few people say that it's overwhelming to implement.

This is so true. I bought DITHOR this year for my 3rd and 4th grader and just couldn't even get really started good. It is very overwhelming. We tried about 3 times to get started with it and it just wasn't a good fit for that young of an age.

What I did this year was use a reading list from Learn at Home Grade 3 and Grade 4 books. They have an excellent reading list and you keep a reading journal and do some crafty things here and there.

Next year I am going to do Learning Language Arts through Literature as well as a good reading list.

It seems the best way to teach the love of reading is reading and discussion. The best way to make reading a chore is to add busywork to it.

We use the lists in TWTM, but most of my 2nd grader's reading came from SOTW and he also chose books that were used in WWE. After reading the selections in WWE, he asked to read several of the books. With the more difficult books, I would read a page then he would read a page and we discussed the charaters, plot etc. It is fun to experience a book together.

I go through many of the above mentioned book lists, and then also ask other homeschooling moms what their _____ grade boy/girl really enjoyed at this age.

We don't do any busy work for reading--We will discuss the story, and then he will do a quick project or something for every other story or fewers--he reads about 3 books a week without any prodding on my part. :party:

Some projects we have done are:

draw a picture and color it of your favorite scene in the book

act out a scene in the book

Build a diaorama of _____ from the book

cooking

make a ______ like they would have used (did a sling shot from I think it was Sign of the Beaver??)

many others that kind of go along with the above--if a book talks about catching lightening bugs--he may do that. ;)