Menu

How different is the new WTM???

TulaneMama

I have the last publication and have found this year that many of the suggested materials are not available and/or hard to find? I am attempting to put together our 5th grade year.

Is it needed/worth purchasing the new edition?

I purchased the previous two editions, but managed to convince my local library to buy the latest edition. I have not read the new ed. from cover to cover, but it does have a fair amount of new material, particularly in the area of middle school science (if I remember correctly).

Tiffany

at first I didn't think it changed much. After going through it more carefully, it seems easier to put into practice. It could be that this is my 3rd year using TWTM, but I think she has refined her instructions. It is also nice that the reccomended resources are easier to find.

I follow TWTM very closely, so it was a no brainer for me to get the latest edition.

I have it on hold at the library. If you know who is sitting (and sitting and sitting) on it - call them and tell them to give it back!! :D

I did spend some time with the new edition at BN this weekend. There are definitely updated changes to logic stage.

I wish that Norton would sell a $5 upgrade book that tells you exactly what was different :tongue_smilie:.

I got the new edition from the library, and while there are some changes (mostly in the 'logic stage'), for me at least it isn't really worth buying a whole new book. I'll probably get it from the library yearly to double check what is in and out of print.

There is one thing that I saw, and I don't know if it's just me or if it really has changed, is that in the 'grammar stage' it says that they recommend Kingfisher History Encyclopedia in the 'logic stage.' Then, I didn't see that recommendation in the 'logic stage' area - they had different books. I may have just missed it, because I didn't read the 'logic' and 'rhetoric' stages as closely as the new 'grammar stage.'

I wish that Norton would sell a $5 upgrade book that tells you exactly what was different :tongue_smilie:.

I got the new edition from the library, and while there are some changes (mostly in the 'logic stage'), for me at least it isn't really worth buying a whole new book. I'll probably get it from the library yearly to double check what is in and out of print.

There is one thing that I saw, and I don't know if it's just me or if it really has changed, is that in the 'grammar stage' it says that they recommend Kingfisher History Encyclopedia in the 'logic stage.' Then, I didn't see that recommendation in the 'logic stage' area - they had different books. I may have just missed it, because I didn't read the 'logic' and 'rhetoric' stages as closely as the new 'grammar stage.'

I'm still browsing my library copy of the new one, and the more I browse, the more I do see little changes here and there, which clarify bits for me. The logic stage and the high school history and the resources everywhere certainly are big changes, but there are small changes as well. (although I can't recall specifics right now!)

I think the KF staying mentioned in those sections is a mistake. It's also mentioned in the grammar stage history memory sections. SWB found out right before the new WTM was published that KF went OOP, so she did a last minute search (pleading with us here on the boards) for new recs for logic stage. And, I notice that the KF mem. work in logic stage is not in the new edition (though one could certainly come up with mem. work), so that did get taken care of. She probably just forgot to take the mention out of the grammar stage history section. It was very last minute and frustrating for her, from what I could tell.

I think overall the new edition is great, esp. the outlining section and the logic stage science explanation of emphasizing experimenting and talking.

Edited by Colleen in NS