Menu

Cash for Clunkers Stimulus is Bogas :o(

... or at least, it was a bummer for us today ...

We took our 2002 Ram 3500, 5.9 L engine, 14 seater van in - this beast gets around 10 miles to the gallon.

Chrysler manager said it didn't qualify because it was not PRODUCED before 2001. He said it has something to do with the WEIGH of our van.

Humph. Oh well, heads up to ya'll - and let me know if this is true please - it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, It has to be produced in certain years. We're in car sales and if I remember hubby right, it has to be from 84(?) to 2001, applies to a new car purchase only, takes the place of any trade in value you would normally get, only good until NOv or some time like that, must have maitained a year of insurance, and be drivable. Plus, the gas mileage is from the time it was made not the gas mileage it gets now. The weight is what determines the class of your vehicle as well as the wheel base of the vehicle. A lot of people are being disappointed by the clunker law. :glare:

Yeah, It has to be produced in certain years. We're in car sales and if I remember hubby right, it has to be from 84(?) to 2001, applies to a new car purchase only, takes the place of any trade in value you would normally get, only good until NOv or some time like that, must have maitained a year of insurance, and be drivable. Plus, the gas mileage is from the time it was made not the gas mileage it gets now. The weight is what determines the class of your vehicle as well as the wheel base of the vehicle. A lot of people are being disappointed by the clunker law. :glare:

I am pretty sure I am going to qualify......just have to determine if it is the best deal for me, because although I need and plan on buying a NEWER car soon, I wasn't planning on buying brand new.

I'll be interested in everyone's experiences about this.

According to dh who works in the car business.

This is why.

The weight of your van makes it a Category 3 vehicle therefore the combined fuel economy isn't an issue - see here from cars.gov.

A work truck, which is called a category 3 truck under the CARS Act, is subject to special rules. Work trucks are not rated for fuel economy by the EPA. Thus, the eligibility of work trucks for the program does not depend on combined fuel economy. Instead, work trucks may only be traded in under the program if they were manufactured not later than model year 2001 and not earlier than 25 years before the date of the trade in. In addition, work trucks may only be traded in for the purchase of a category 2 truck or another category 3 truck that is of similar size or smaller than the traded-in vehicle. Finally, the Act provides only for a $3,500 credit for trading in a work truck.

The CARS Act limits the amount of funds that can be used to provide credits for purchases or leases of work trucks. Only 7.5 percent of the funds appropriated for the program may be used for credits for work trucks. Once that limit is reached, NHTSA will stop making payments for these transactions. NHTSA will keep the public informed as to the funds that remain available for these credits.

Edited by Steph

Why would it matter what mileage your vehicle got when purchased? Ours is a '95 and according to our calculations only gets 13 MPG. Just about anything would be better than that, and better for the environment. I understand that it'd be hard to prove, but the MPG for the vehicle when it was new seems silly.

PS. Now I'm sad because we were actually considering this, but the more I read about it....

I heard on the radio today that some local dealers were telling people their cars did not qualify, even though they they did, because they just didn't want to deal with all the paperwork involved in the program. Also, they were not making any money on taking the clunkers because the cars had to be destroyed so they couldn't be resold on the used lot. Another reason not to participate.

Don't know if that is true, but it does make sense on some levels.

Is this voluntary or mandatory on the dealers' part?