Menu

Looking for Deet-free, non-oily bug spray

We have a picnic tonight and I can't use any of the bug spray we have because it all contains Deet. I tried the Burt's Bees natural bug spray and I felt oily and gross. Is there anything that is non-oily that doesn't need to be ordered off the internet?

Repel makes a lemon eucalyptus spray that works great. Been tested by the CDC even up to 6-8 hours on ticks and mosquitoes. Some Targets and Wal-Marts carry it, but not all. Repel also makes DEET sprays, so make sure it's the lemon eucalpytus stuff. Also, make sure to spray it outside and hold your breath - it's strong! Once it's on, though I don't mind the smell at all (but apparently the bugs do). I have been using this a few years now and it works great.

There's also another brand I got at a local pharmacy, but I've never seen it anywhere else. It's Natrapel, with Picaridin as the active ingredient. Picaridin is another natural repellent also been tested by the CDC up to 8 hours.

I don't necessarily always put stock in what the CDC says about natural stuff (they tend to pooh-pooh it), but spraying something and seeing how long it keeps the bugs away seems a pretty easy control, and these two have passed with flying colors. Citronella and the other stuff in the most common natural repellents, not so much.

We use this for the dogs, but it could probably work just as well for humans (we don't mind deet).

Boil one slice of lemon in two cups of water and let it steep until cool (covered). Strain into a spray bottle and voila!

Also, we put tea tree and eucalyptus essential oils on a bandana and tie them around the dogs necks, that lasts for about a week... maybe you could make a little collar for yourself?

I know it sounds rediculous, but it works for the animals. Now that I think about it, though, the lemon spray is more for fleas than anything else. Also, we use about five different things (cedar chips around/in dog house, brewers yeast in food, vinegar in water, too), so who knows what is working, but it's worth a try anyway.

Also, if you are going to be near power you could just bring a fan. They can't fly in wind (or so I've heard).

The best thing I've used is Cutter with Picaridin instead of DEET. It is very light and completely odorless. There is a slight smell as it's being sprayed but once it is on you, you will not smell it or feel it AT ALL!

That one I linked to has the lightest feel to it (supposedly) but I used Cutter Advanced Sport and it also is very light and no smell. Never know it is on you.

I have found this in my supermarket and local pharmacies.

I would like to use an all natural one but I haven't found one that doesn't stink.

Here is the Picaridin website if you are interested.