Menu

Cash for Clunkers: any domestic car recommendations?

I can't believe I'm even thinking about it, but the advertisements make me think the deals are better than ever.

That said, if I were looking at a compact/subcompact car with 28+ mpg, which domestic vehicles would I consider?

The imports were easier to find online because there were so many.

TIA!

How do you find out if your car qualifies? Dh and I have been keeping our eyes open for a great deal on a car and this just might do it for us!! Ours is a 2000 Chevy Venture. Dh and I were talking last night and we're considering buying a clunker from someone (really cheap!) and trading it in for this incentive. Then, selling our Venture for a couple thousand. That, combined with Chrysler (?) new deal - another $4500!! That would be like $11,000 off of our new car. That puts it at the cost of a used car easily. We're not sure if that's legal though!

Good luck finding a car!!!

I can't believe I'm even thinking about it, but the advertisements make me think the deals are better than ever.

That said, if I were looking at a compact/subcompact car with 28+ mpg, which domestic vehicles would I consider?

The imports were easier to find online because there were so many.

TIA!

We've been looking at the Volkswagon models with the TDI engine. The mpg looks very appealing!

How do you find out if your car qualifies? Dh and I have been keeping our eyes open for a great deal on a car and this just might do it for us!! Ours is a 2000 Chevy Venture. Dh and I were talking last night and we're considering buying a clunker from someone (really cheap!) and trading it in for this incentive. Then, selling our Venture for a couple thousand. That, combined with Chrysler (?) new deal - another $4500!! That would be like $11,000 off of our new car. That puts it at the cost of a used car easily. We're not sure if that's legal though!

You have to have owned and insured the car for a certain period of time prior to trading it in for this program. Buying one to trade in wouldn't work. :sad:

I looked at a website a couple of weeks ago with the details. I'll try to find it again and post a link for you.

ETA: Changing the website...Here is a better link for you.

Edited by Stacie

I have heard very few cars will qualify for this program. We were very seriously considering this, especially when Chrysler doubled the incentive. We have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with over 156,000 miles on it. According to the gov. website, the combined estimated MPG is 18! It also shows a combined MPG of a 2009 Grand Caravan at only 19. So, you need at least a 3 MPG difference for $3500 voucher and 5 MPG for $4500. I can't believe that after 11 years they have only improved MPG by 1!

I'm thinking seriously about doing this. A newer car is definitely in my future, but I probably can't do it until my divorce is settled.

My 95 Lincoln qualifies....I would like a Honda...I had a new one in 91 and drove it for 11 years. Loved it when husband made me sell it.

You have to prove you have owned the car for a year or more.