Menu

Do you like survival (man against nature) stories?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I have enjoyed all the ones I've read like Island of the Blue Dolphins, My Side of the Mountain, Cold River, Robinson Crusoe, etc. I love them for the ingenuity and perserverance of the main characters. They are some of my favorite books and I have read many of them over and over again. But my kids don't care for them. :( They think survival books are boring.

My newest favorite is Life of Pi that I saw recommended on the old boards.

What are some of your favorite stories in this genre? I'm looking for something to read and don't feel like anything that I've got on my "888" list.

I have enjoyed all the ones I've read like Island of the Blue Dolphins, My Side of the Mountain, Cold River, Robinson Crusoe, etc. I love them for the ingenuity and perserverance of the main characters. They are some of my favorite books and I have read many of them over and over again. But my kids don't care for them. :( They think survival books are boring.

What are some of your favorite stories in this genre? I'm looking for something to read and don't feel like anything that I've got on my "888" list.

I've enjoyed books that are along a similar vein - books about real life adventurers and explorers. Have you read The Ice Masters by Jennifer Niven, Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer?

Guest Virginia Dawn
I've enjoyed books that are along a similar vein - books about real life adventurers and explorers. Have you read The Ice Masters by Jennifer Niven, Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer?

I haven't seen those, I'll check them out. Thanks!

I am supposed to make a fairly massive quantity of potato wedges for a neighborhood supper club - enough for 40 people (the theme is sort of Texan or Western or something, so these go with ribs).

Anyway, I have a big bag of baking potatoes. Do I need to peel them? Can I slice them ahead and keep them in the refrigerator? In water? Lemon water?

If I just coat them with a lot of oil and seasoning and then bake them at 400 degrees, will that work?

I had this item assigned to me, and I really don't want to have to buy frozen potatoe fingers at the grocery because I am trying trying trying to be frugal!!!

I love them!

The first theme I was interested in was Arctic and Antarctic exploration and reading the snippets of explorers diaries that were in print. That moved to reading books by those that scaled Everest and now I'm into adventures at sea.

I'm reading "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton about sailing around Cape Horn in a 40 ft sailboat in the 1950s. "Survive the Savage Sea" about a family who were adrift or a couple of months with their kids after their sailboat sank.

Finished Fastnet, Force 10: Deadliest Storm in Modern Sailing

I still haven't finished Joshua Slocum, "Sailing Alone Around The World"

Guest Virginia Dawn
I love them!

The first theme I was interested in was Arctic and Antarctic exploration and reading the snippets of explorers diaries that were in print. That moved to reading books by those that scaled Everest and now I'm into adventures at sea.

I'm reading "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton about sailing around Cape Horn in a 40 ft sailboat in the 1950s. "Survive the Savage Sea" about a family who were adrift or a couple of months with their kids after their sailboat sank.

Finished Fastnet, Force 10: Deadliest Storm in Modern Sailing

I still haven't finished Joshua Slocum, "Sailing Alone Around The World"

These sound great, my dh loves sailing stories, I bet he would like them too. :)

Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex was a five star book!!!

I got two other books by Nathaniel Philbrick after reading that one and haven't started either one yet, but they are on my shelf. They are not man against nature themes though.

The Toilers of the Sea by Victor Hugo