Menu

I was appalled today at a book store...

Well, if it had been my choice, I'd probably have chosen Junie B. Jones. :) Equally horrifying to some hsers, but hey, I never finished a story without laughing to tears!

We love Sponge Bob. My DH wears a T-shirt that says, "I wear the pants in this pineapple." But I'd have a hard time reading one of those essentially graphic-novels aloud...I'm not a talented enough reader.

Someone made the comment that there's a lot of subtlety in the cartoon ... does ANY of that come across in the books?

Not in the books I've read to the kids. No big deal though...Sometimes you just need a funny story with no subtlety and nothing redeeming.

Franklin and Little Bear were just two characters we could never get into around here!

Ugh, same thing here too. Add Arthur to that list. Sooo boring.

My kids love Spongebob, but the books (like most TV or movie tie-ins) are crap. We also have a Scooby-Doo book that my 4 year old loves, but I hate reading it to her. Who writes these things? They could at least put something entertaining in there.

Speaking of Scooby-Doo...I *loved* the show when I was a kid and still enjoy the classic ones now and then, but has anyone seen the new cartoons they've made? I watched one where Shaggy and Scooby go to see a magician. They find out the magician doesn't use magic (just slight of hand) and they make such a ruckus in front of the audience, that the guy gets run out of the theater. Seemed pretty mean-spirited to me, and not something those characters would do (the magician turns out to be a bad guy, but still...). They also show Shaggy falling in love with a girl, which also seems out of character for him (I always thought of him as more of a Jughead type, always thinking about food not girls.) If course, they're doing the same thing to Jughead, I've noticed.

Sorry, I need to get a life :tongue_smilie: Just to save face I'd like to point out that although my kids read my extensive collection of Archie comics and other twaddle now and then (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, etc. etc.) we do read the good stuff too! Narnia, Little House and the Prairie, The Hobbit, Just So Stories, Harry Potter (nope I don't consider those twaddle) and lots more.

Ugh, same thing here too. Add Arthur to that list. Sooo boring.

My kids love Spongebob, but the books (like most TV or movie tie-ins) are crap. We also have a Scooby-Doo book that my 4 year old loves, but I hate reading it to her. Who writes these things? They could at least put something entertaining in there.

Speaking of Scooby-Doo...I *loved* the show when I was a kid and still enjoy the classic ones now and then, but has anyone seen the new cartoons they've made? I watched one where Shaggy and Scooby go to see a magician. They find out the magician doesn't use magic (just slight of hand) and they make such a ruckus in front of the audience, that the guy gets run out of the theater. Seemed pretty mean-spirited to me, and not something those characters would do (the magician turns out to be a bad guy, but still...). They also show Shaggy falling in love with a girl, which also seems out of character for him (I always thought of him as more of a Jughead type, always thinking about food not girls.) If course, they're doing the same thing to Jughead, I've noticed.

Sorry, I need to get a life :tongue_smilie: Just to save face I'd like to point out that although my kids read my extensive collection of Archie comics and other twaddle now and then (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, etc. etc.) we do read the good stuff too! Narnia, Little House and the Prairie, The Hobbit, Just So Stories, Harry Potter (nope I don't consider those twaddle) and lots more.

Shaggy did have a girlfriend back in the seventies or early eighties sometime, but I agree...he thinks about food much more (I used to want a Scooby-Doo channel when I was little!).

We LOOOOVE Little Bear! In fact, my parents kept my Little Bear books for me (from 35 years ago, mind you!), and my girls are constantly wanting me to read them. Ingrid just adores the mermaid.

Lol. I know that many others just love them! We didn't like the cartoon either. My son finds them boring. However we like other books that people just shake their head at!

I have books like that too that got saved (and were unfortunately wrecked in a car accident...I'm slowly recollecting them).

I never read Little Bear or any of those types of books...I started reading at four and was reading things like Little House on the Prairie before I turned five. I missed the whole "little kid" book thing, and sometimes I wish that I wouldn't have. But maybe that is why I don't like them now?