Menu

Goodfeet arch supports??

Have any of you used these, or know anyone who has?

I have had terrible issues with my feet lately, and it's hindering my daily walk. Someone suggested them.

I went to the dr. and they did x-rays, and he said they might benefit, or seeing a podiatrist.

Thanks!

I have been using them for about a month now. Have you been to a GoodFeet store? In case not, here's how it works. Their theory is that their arch supports will redistribute your weight evenly over your foot so that there are no more dysfunctional pressure points. It is a universal support that applies to all feet--no customizing.

I had been having nerve pain at the base of my 2nd toes for some time, and it was affecting my activity level--walks of 20 minutes or more, and fitness classes were increasingly painful. Internet searching convinced me that I needed more metatarsal arch support, and OTC metatarsal pads had not done the trick. I faithfully replace my workout shoes, and I have tried the $25 supports with no success.

After talking with the sales person and trying the supports in the store (take a pair of lace-up shoes with you), I decided to take a chance. I bought only the most structured supports (they also have sort of a thin-line and a "trainer" support), because I wanted to use them in my athletic shoes. You only wear them for an hour or so the first day and gradually increase the wearing time over a couple of weeks. I didn't find the adjustment difficult at all.

They have helped me a lot, and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I still have some pain if I do a fitness class with a lot of movement (read: Zumba), but it's tolerable. My feet are also less painful overall. Unfortunately, I'm 47 yo and 25 lbs. overweight. I think I will be dealing with all sorts of chronic aches and pains for the rest of my life, particularly when I push myself physically. I don't think I would have done better with custom orthotics, although I've never tried them.

HTH,

Beth

I have been using them for about a month now. Have you been to a GoodFeet store? In case not, here's how it works. Their theory is that their arch supports will redistribute your weight evenly over your foot so that there are no more dysfunctional pressure points. It is a universal support that applies to all feet--no customizing.

I had been having nerve pain at the base of my 2nd toes for some time, and it was affecting my activity level--walks of 20 minutes or more, and fitness classes were increasingly painful. Internet searching convinced me that I needed more metatarsal arch support, and OTC metatarsal pads had not done the trick. I faithfully replace my workout shoes, and I have tried the $25 supports with no success.

After talking with the sales person and trying the supports in the store (take a pair of lace-up shoes with you), I decided to take a chance. I bought only the most structured supports (they also have sort of a thin-line and a "trainer" support), because I wanted to use them in my athletic shoes. You only wear them for an hour or so the first day and gradually increase the wearing time over a couple of weeks. I didn't find the adjustment difficult at all.

They have helped me a lot, and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I still have some pain if I do a fitness class with a lot of movement (read: Zumba), but it's tolerable. My feet are also less painful overall. Unfortunately, I'm 47 yo and 25 lbs. overweight. I think I will be dealing with all sorts of chronic aches and pains for the rest of my life, particularly when I push myself physically. I don't think I would have done better with custom orthotics, although I've never tried them.

HTH,

Beth

Beth:

Yes-I have been having the nerve pain in my 2nd toe also!! Plus, the top of my foot below the toes has really been hurting when I go for long walks. I had bought a new pair of workout shoes-$94-and no improvement. So, I thought the Goodfeet might be worth checking out.

Yes-I have been having the nerve pain in my 2nd toe also!! Plus, the top of my foot below the toes has really been hurting when I go for long walks.

Here's the info I discovered through my internet self-diagnosis: There's a common runner's affliction called Morton's Neuroma, which is a nerve problem causing pain in the ball of the foot and under the 3rd and 4th toes. Conservative treatment includes supports to redistribute weight off the area. My pain fits the description, except the location is wrong. I also found some articles suggesting that the 2nd toe pain (includind the underside of the foot in that area) could be caused by a 2nd metatarsal being longer than the first. A longer 2nd toe is an indicator of this situation, but not conclusive. Again, conservative treatment includes weight redistribution through the use of pads or supports.

I don't know if my 2nd metatarsal is longer than my first, but both of these nerve conditions pointed toward some type of support/orthotic. My feet were actually hurting when I went to the GoodFeet store, and I felt relief when I tried the support. It was expensive--$280, but I decided to take the chance. It was considerably cheaper than a podiatrist and custom orthotics. As I said before, I think it was worth the investment. I wish I could afford to add the thinner support, too, because it can be used in flats, sandals, etc. Unfortunately, it would be another $225 or so.

Beth

ETA: The Chaco sandals that Strider refers to are wonderful. I can walk long distances in them without pain. I couldn't do fitness classes in those, though. Depending on your shoe use, the Chaco's might be worth checking out. They are expensive, but Sierra Trading Post sometimes carries them for less. Even at full price, they will be half the cost of the GoodFeet supports.

Edited by Beth in OH

I used the good feet arch supports for about a year. It took awhile to get used to them, but after I did, they really helped. - BTW, my arches are so high, you can practically put a golf ball under them when I'm standing up!!! Anyway, my feet started hurting again after using them for about a year, even with new pads to go over the arches. Recently, I've discovered that Dr. Scholl's memory foam inserts are fantastic (only the men's - they've done something weird to the women's). I'm thinking I should go buy up all the men's around here before they change those too!

• 4 years later...

I have flat feet and fasciitis and I wear Orthaheel shoes and sandals. They are the only supportive shoes that I have ever worn that help. I wore them walking all over Disney in October and they were a lifesaver. I got them on Amazon for a lot less than the Orthaheel website.