Menu

Too many bananas!

Banana-Caramel Pie

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (If you don’t want to go to the trouble to make dulce de leche, you can use caramel ice cream topping)

1 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/2 cup butter, melted

4 bananas

1 1/2 cups whipping cream

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To make dulce de leche, place the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan, and add enough water to cover half-way up the can. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 hours, adding more water as necessary. Remove from heat and cool.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the butter in a mixing bowl until evenly blended. Press the crumb mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie plate.

3. Bake pie crust in preheated oven until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.

4. Open the can of dulce de leche, and pour half, or about 3/4 cup, over the pie crust. Slice the bananas and arrange half in a layer over the dulce de leche filling. Pour the remaining dulce de leche over the bananas. Top with remaining banana slices.

5. Pour the whipping cream into a mixing bowl, and beat until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon the whipped cream over the bananas. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Not your mother's banana bread!

Banana Peanut Butter Bread

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs; beat well. Stir in peanut butter, bananas, flour and baking soda until blended. Fold in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

I throw a banana or two into store bought cake mix to add some nutrition. If the bananas are very ripe I don't worry about adding any more moisture, if they're still a little on the hard side then I'll up the applesauce that I substitute for the oil by a little bit.

I also will throw a banana into pancake or waffle mix, again for added nutrition.

And I know you didn't want smoothie recipes, but you can also drop a banana into a milkshake.....wonderful this time of year!

Do you bake bread? You can use a small mashed banana in place of sugar in yeast sandwich bread. It makes fantastic bread for PB&J.

Banana Empanadas

1/4 cup raisins

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup shortening

2 tablespoons plain yogurt

3 1/2 cup cold water

4 large ripe bananas, coarsely chopped

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste

1 tablespoon cold water

1 egg white

1. Soak raisins in hot water for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Mix in shortening using a fork, until the entire mixture is in pea-sized pellets. Stir in yogurt, and just enough of the 1/2 cup of cold water to hold it together in a dough.
  3. Roll out dough to a square 1/8 inch in thickness. Use a knife to cut into four 8x8 inch squares. Don't worry if they aren't perfect. Drain the raisins, and mix with the cinnamon and chopped bananas. Spoon some of the banana mixture onto half of each square, leaving at least 1/2 inch of dough exposed at the edge to seal the edges. Fold the dough over the fruit, and pinch the edges together. Make sure that they are secure. I like to roll the excess dough up around the edges and then pinch it until it's thin again. You'll want to have about a 1/2 inch closure in the end. You can trim the edges a bit to make them more aesthetically pleasing. Place empanadas on a baking sheet. Whisk together 1 tablespoon of cold water and egg white; brush over the tops.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

I AM a bread baker! Thanks for this idea. What ratio do you use? Straight weight? (I weigh my ingredients...)

8 ounces banana for a 2lb loaf (4 cups flour), 6oz for a 1-1/2lb loaf (3 cups flour). I usually use walnut oil for this bread, but any oil or butter will do.

Edited to add: fluid amount is not affected.