Menu

Leveling a sloped yard?

We're looking at purchasing a home soon and we're having a hard time finding one that we both like, (house, location, price).

We came across one the other day that we actually like on 2 points (house, location). However, the back yard is very sloped. We really want something more flat so the kids can run around. (We've been apt renters since marriage and have never had a yard, and I've been dreaming about a yard since ds1 could walk!)

Have any of you been through the process of leveling a yard? How costly would it be? Was it worth it?

I guess it all depends on how sloped it is sloped. I live in a hilly area so everyone has some degree of slope in their yards. If it is very severe, some people will build walls as retainers and add dirt. That can be very expensive if it is done well. My parents wanted a pool so they just used those wall things you can buy at Lowe's (edging bricks?) and made a small area flat-just large enough for the pool and another just large enough for the swingset.

Leveling work can be quite expensive if you don't do it yourself. My dad decided buying the tractor and doing it himself was less.

We're looking at purchasing a home soon and we're having a hard time finding one that we both like, (house, location, price).

We came across one the other day that we actually like on 2 points (house, location). However, the back yard is very sloped. We really want something more flat so the kids can run around. (We've been apt renters since marriage and have never had a yard, and I've been dreaming about a yard since ds1 could walk!)

Have any of you been through the process of leveling a yard? How costly would it be? Was it worth it?

Is it sloped going up or down toward the house? If the slope goes up, you may need to find out if you can have it cut back, and what retaining wall you can put in to not create a landslide danger or water runoff issues. Verify the house doesn't have any easements or utilities back there, you may not be able to dig. Retaining walls can get expensive .... quick! You will also need to figure out if you can get equipment back there to do the work.

If it slopes down away from the house and you are thinking about filling it in, you again will need to check on those same things things but you will also have the expense of buying fill dirt. You can find places that sell fill dirt in your phone book or by talking to a yard contractor.

How sloped are we talking: Will a round ball roll if it is nudged, a ball will roll with or without help or a square would roll?

Creating flat places on a sloped lot is often called terracing, that may give you some ideas if you Google. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hillside/msg1107550223563.html

Thank you for the replies!

Tap- A ball would roll down without a nudge I think. It looks like about a 35-40 degree slope.

Wildflower- Thanks for offering to take a look! I will try to figure out a way to cut and paste a pic and pm it to you. It's looks about 30-40 yards by 25 yards.

:001_smile: